Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

The right oil to use?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 05:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation The right oil to use?

Hi there,

First of all, I know that this topic might have been around few times but here the case might be a bit different I guess..

In the Middle east and specifically in Kuwait, the Temp in summer can get really hot, which means it can easily reach 45c at 10:00 PM!! 55 at day time (and that is in the shade too!)

Now, my 6.2l F150 has a recommendation to use the 5W-20, I had thoughts about using the 5W-50 fully syn. To get a thicker oil for these high temps.

Our normal highway speed is 120km/h (74.5mph) but sometimes we put our vehicles to an extreme conditions being used in the desert at those high Temps!

Excuse me for the following note, In my recent Toyota catalouges, they did not recommend a specific oil grade, instead they gave the freedom to chose between oil grades according to the weather (outer atmospheric temps) using a table that shows how each oil grade will resist at a given temps. And that is what i knew about the main reason engine oils comes in different Oils grades.

Example like: 0W-20 is mostly for coolder conditions/regions.

So, will it harm the engine if I use the 5W-50 or 5W-40?? Never mind the fuel consumptions ok..
Old 06-02-2015, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't use anything other then 5w-20, The reason being is that thicker oil clogs the hydraulic lash adjusters and the engine was designed to just use 5w-20. one of the reason why toyota has a table for different oil grades is that 99% of their engines use mechanical lifters as opposed to hydraulic. (the exception being the 5M-GE) If you are really concerned about your oil temperature I would just fit a bigger external oil cooler (I believe the 6.2's come from factory with external engine oil coolers)
Old 06-02-2015, 03:12 PM
Cowboy of the Skies

Received 167 Likes on 134 Posts

Even here we get pretty warm and all i use in any of my trucks is 5w30.

Quick Reply: The right oil to use?