Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Replaced ABS sensor, light still on

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 10:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Replaced ABS sensor, light still on

I've got an 03 4x4 and the ABS light went on last week. When we pulled the codes it said left front speed sensor. I changed this sensor out today, cleared the code with the scan tool. Light was off. I hit 20 mph and the light is back on. Any help figuring this out is appreciated. Haven't hooked up scanner to see if different code, but I'm assuming not. Thanks.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:22 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Check the ring gear that the sensor reads and the wiring to the sensor could also be the culprit. All that code means is that there is a problem somewhere in that circuit. The computer doesn't know the difference between a broken wire to the sensor and a broken wire inside the sensor, etc.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:58 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Never assume anything with a malfunction indicator. Check the codes again.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:48 AM

Scan tool was actually showing an intermittent sensor. Pulled things back down and checked the tone wheel. No chipped teeth. The old sensor I pulled off had 4 shims on it. Put the new one back in with one shim, spun the wheel with no resistance. Buckled it back up, and no light :-) Guess it just wasn't close enough for the magnet to read.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mines been on for 5 years now....got new sensor but that didn't fix it. Brakes work fine, no lock up yet.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:16 AM

Ended up with a low speed stuttering issue. Code was showing continuity issue. Pulled all the shims off, ran the ohm test. No problems on the way to work today and the light is off. Not sure why the old sensor needed the shims, but the new one definitely didn't like them.
Old 11-12-2014, 04:35 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil03
Not sure why the old sensor needed the shims, but the new one definitely didn't like them.

I remember way back Ford had us put shims on some of the sensors to correct an air gap issue, Pretty sure it had something to do with the sensor itself not being made to spec or something, some needed it some didn't. Was hit or miss that much I remember.

Quick Reply: Replaced ABS sensor, light still on