Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Replace 5.4 triton

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace 5.4 triton

Hi there
I have a 2007 5.4L f150.....as I have come to learn the spark plugs are the least of my worries with the cam phaser problem. My eng was throwing a code...so I changed the sensor it suggested or lead too. Light came back on....diagnostic lead to one cam shaft out 15 deg. and the other 3 deg with low compression in 2 cylinders. I have been told by the mech that I should dump the truck first....of not change the eng. Truck is mint with only 144k km on it. Crazy to think Ford has such a week in reliable eng with so few km's. Any replacement options for an eng as Ford told me that it's the same eng they put in. Secondly is there any good will that does does for these problems as I have seen several class action suits on the internet where Ford admits to blowing off these problems. Thanks for any help or suggestions
Old 10-24-2015, 11:54 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I guess your asking if we think you should replace the engine or not. I would say ask yourself what is the value of the truck as it sits. What's the price to have the engine replaced. What's the value of the truck if you put a new engine in it. Is the cost of the repairs greater than the cost to replace the truck.
I would say replace the engine with a new one and enjoy the new engine.
Have you gotten a price on what it would cost to have a rebuilt engine installed?
Old 10-25-2015, 03:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The qotes in British columbia, vancouver that I have received has been 5000 for an eng and 2000 for install plus tx's and misc. Expenses......truck is mint - leather\ interior\ and exterior so it's a shame to have to put all the work into a "young newer truck" with only 144k on it
Old 10-26-2015, 08:22 AM
Some guy

Received 2,013 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Considered doing the cam phaser / timing equipment yourself before dropping 7k on a new engine?

Quick Reply: Replace 5.4 triton