Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Removing Starter 07 5.4

Old 01-30-2009, 12:15 AM
FireMedic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Starter 07 5.4

I was wondering if anybody had the pleasure of removing/replacing a starter yet and if they had a easy way to get to the top holding bolt that is hidden behind the exhaust manifold. I don't even see a way to get a wrench back on it or a way to replace the bolt if you could get it off. If you haven't had the opportunity to deal with this take a look it's very puzzling I don't think the exhaust manifold comes off without the starter off and vice versa. Engineers are geniuses

Otherwise I'll start a new thread on how to possibly get the bottom 2nd from the front exhaust manifold bolt out.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:23 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

On other installations, a socket and an extension is used. Perhaps even a wobbly socket is needed.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:57 PM
FireMedic

I should have thought of that worked like a charm got to caught up in wanting something easy. Only problem now is with the torquetube installed there's even less room to work but it will go in a 1/4 turn at a time before resetting the wobbly. Just to add the torquetubes are by far the most difficult mod I've done to this truck, if one ever cracks I'll pay some sucker to do it next time.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:02 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Had me scratching my bald head, torquetube? Torsionbar, gotcha. Have seen mechanics use an extension, universal, and another extension just to wrap around stuff. Anyway glad you got it.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:22 PM

I am replacing the 5.4L engine on my 2004 SCREW 4X4, which is the reason I've joined this board. Am now near the end to remove the engine; removing the starter is one of the last things before lifting the engine. The top bolt of the starter - did you remove it by going through the top, from underneath, or through the side (fender lining is removed). How long was the extension you used (i.e. more than 12")? So far I just haven't been able to see the bolt, and like you I've wondered whether the exhaust manifold would have to come off. Sure hope not. Thanks. Wyojeep
Old 02-24-2009, 10:31 AM
FireMedic

You need to go through the side with the above mentioned socket, swivel, extension it's a pain it takes a lot of resetting after about a 1/4 turn once loose enough you should be able to reach from bottom and spin. Also made easier by having the Y pipe removed from manifolds as I learned from reassembly from having that connected before attempting to bolt down the starter.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:25 PM

Thank you FireMedic. Using your set up (actually I used two swivel connectors) and with the help of a friend (me below guiding the socket) we got the top bolt off. It's a 13mm bolt head, in case anyone spends too much time (like me) thinking it was a 14mm. Perhaps later on I'll report on what it took to pull an '04 5.4 L engine and replace it. I note you are from Wyo too. Wyojeep

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Removing Starter 07 5.4