Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Remote Start/Airbag System Issues

Old 05-30-2011, 12:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Remote Start/Airbag System Issues

I have a 2004 F150 that has a remote start system installed on it. I bought the truck used about 9 months ago and the system was already on it when I got it. I have had issues with the airbag lights flashing/staying on most of the time, but some of the time they are off (as I would expect they should be unless there is a problem). I took it to a local mechanic to get something else on the truck worked on and I told him to hook it up to his code reader (its a Ford code reader) to see if he could figure out what the issue was. When I went to pick up the truck, he told me that when he hooked up to the code reader that he didn't get any codes back, but all of the lights started flashing. He unhooked the reader and buttoned everything back up, since I told him I didn't want so spend the extra money on that at the moment. Before I left, he told me that it was likely that someone had hooked up the remote start incorrectly, and that if it is done wrong then it can send you on a goose chase trying to locate the problem.

After I got the vehicle home, I hooked it up to a friend's code reader (from AutoZone) and I kept getting the message that it had to be hooked up to a vehicle to work. Later I found a blown fuse that was for the Cigar Lighter/Diagnostic Port. I figured replacing that fuse would allow me to find out what the problem was, but I replaced it and tried again and received the same message.

Another strange problem is that a couple of times in the time that I have owned the vehicle, when I hit the remote start button, the vehicle will start, run for a few seconds, and then shut off. It will repeat that 4 or 5 times before it finally shuts off and stays off.

I believe that all of these issues are somehow related but I'm not sure exactly where to begin my troubleshooting. I am wondering if they didn't tie into one of the airbag wires and if that is causing all of the trouble?

If anyone has any experience with a similar issue, help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 05-30-2011, 10:36 AM

Received 120 Likes on 97 Posts

What brand remote start?
Old 05-31-2011, 03:27 AM

I'm not sure, I haven't found anything with a brand on it yet. Do you know where the control box is normally located?
Old 06-01-2011, 10:34 PM

Found the control box under the dash. I'm going to start poking around with a multimeter and see what I can find out.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:17 AM
Troll Hater

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Careful with the multimeter.
I would believe a meter on ohms might set off airbags.
I would suggest finding a wiring diagram and matching wires the auto start are tied into.
Or trace wires from the obd port, and see if any are tapped into.
Good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Remote Start/Airbag System Issues