Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Rear End Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 05:45 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Rear End Vibration

Lately, I have been noticing a vibration when I turn left. It feels like it is coming from the rear end. The only thing that I can think of is that it maybe needs new bearings. Any other ideas, or does this sound like a good diagnosis? Just ask if you need more information.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:48 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

is this vibration only turning left or while on the accelerator or coasting. my dad has some type on his expedition when wheels are turned any direction has gives it some gas idk about your axles but do you have an open diff or limited slip
Old 04-10-2014, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by PIMPIN F150
is this vibration only turning left or while on the accelerator or coasting. my dad has some type on his expedition when wheels are turned any direction has gives it some gas idk about your axles but do you have an open diff or limited slip
The vibration is only when I turn left and it seems to do it more often and maybe only after using my brakes, especially after coming to a complete stop. I don't know what axle I have. Is there any way for me to check?
Old 04-11-2014, 08:10 AM

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

I would first check to make sure your brakes on the left side are releasing completely. Sounds like your brake caliper might be sticking.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:31 AM

Okay. My front brakes do need replaced which I am having done very soon. Feeling the rims after driving, the front rim on the drivers side was hot. However, it does feel to me that the vibration is coming from the rear which doesn't make sense to me. I guess I'll see if it's still doing it after replacing the brakes?
Old 04-11-2014, 08:50 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Your signature says you have an FX4, so that pretty much means you have a 9.75", 3.73 ratio, limited slip axle.

Anyway, the brake suggestion is a good place to start. Occasionally, my parking (emergency) brake will hang up, and not release on one side. It causes one heck of a vibration. I have to pull over, and activate and release the e-brake a few times, then it's OK. I'll address that problem when I replace the rear disks next week.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:59 PM

I have a 3.73? Nice, I was thinking when I bought it that it was probably 3.55. Hopefully it's just the brakes. I'm having them done on Wednesday.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:57 AM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

If your rear differential has not been serviced lately, have the gear oil replaced and be sure to put in the LDS clutch modifier. This axle clutches may be hanging up. If you have 4 wheel disc brakes, make sure the e-brake shoes inside the rear discs are inspected/replaced at the same time.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:56 PM

I had my front brakes replaced today. I do need a new front driver's side wheel bearing. However the vibration really feels to me like it's coming from the rear. If the new bearing doesn't fix it, I'll look into having the differential serviced.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:52 AM

I have a friend who has agreed to help me replace the wheel bearing. I was wondering, how do you take off the things that cover the lugnuts on an FX4? Can you just use like a socket wrench?

Quick Reply: Rear End Vibration