Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Rear end grinding noise, but no vibration.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear end grinding noise, but no vibration.

Hi I am new here, if this is the wrong place my apologies!

I own a 2007 STX 4x4 F150.

first truck I ever owned (first vehicle other than dirt bikes)

So when I start moving I instantly here a cyclical grinding noise coming from the back. It sounds like its coming more from the right hand rear tire.
There is no vibration however, the truck is smooth.

I assumed it was my ebrake shoes sticking and I took off the rear disc and they were indeed stuck open, so today I replaced them and installed new hardware.
I had the rear of the truck jacked up, spun the tire and could hear the grinding noise from the right hand side. (Mechanic said it was the rear diff but he only test drove and didnt do any real test or even look underneath, so I think he was wrong, plus I changed my rear diff oil recently and there was almost no metal in there, it looked good to me)

Then I drove around the block and Im still getting the grinding noise.
I am thinking its the wheel bearing on the rear right.
However the noise comes back when off the gas, get quite when floating the throttle and then goes away around corners some times (left hand turns, some time rights too)
If it needs replacing, does this mean the rear diff needs tearing down?

Thanks for reading. I've rear other threads and can't seem to find the exact problem I am having.

Last edited by playtheman; 07-18-2016 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever figure out what was going on? I'm having the same problem on my 2001 F150

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear end grinding noise, but no vibration.