Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

rear clunking noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear clunking noise

Hey guys.

I have a problem with my 4.6L -98, it started some time after I changed the rear U-joint. When driving from a standstill there is a big clunk coming from the rear as soon as i touch the throttle, if i just sneak away I can mostly avoid it. It won't come straight away only when throttle is applied, and as it rolls fine with the drive in, I assume it's not the drum brakes.

Any ideas?
Old 09-09-2009, 07:42 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

could be the front u-joint? I replaced my rear without thinking about the front one and then two months later my front one started to go.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:29 PM

I checked it, seems fine. Anyone have any ideas? Could it be the drum brakes after all, and in that case what do I look for?

Thanks.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:58 PM

I realize Chevy is a different brand but I thought I'd mention it anyway. I also have a 98 1500 4x4 pick-up. When it was new it had a clunk after I stopped at a light and when I started from a light. It was definitely the rear end because I could feel it in the seat of my pants. I went to the dealer with it and they told me there was a problem with the gear lube in the diff and the transferees case. They changed the fluid, had to do it twice, the first time lessened it the second cured it. It's probably not the problem in your case but I thought I'd mention it.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:59 AM

Thanks for the info man, couldn't hurt to change the fluid anyways. =)
Old 10-21-2009, 05:54 PM
Retired Aerospace

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Disturbing:

....don't think the U-joint has anything to do with the "clunk". Investigate the rear suspension for any obvious loose or broken parts that may shift when drive torque is applied and the axle tends to wrap around.

BTW: I'll bet you are paying a hefty fee to get that 4.6L on the road there in Sweden....what? a couple of thousand euros? A friend in your neighboring Finland, Pori, got stung 6000 euros to qualify a 92 Lincoln Town Car for the road....hopefully Sweden does not have such Draconian regulations.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:21 AM

I had a 99 ranger that made a clunk when taking off.Ended up that the slip yoke on the rear shaft had teflon coated splines and would stick under a load as the axle wrapped up you could feel it in the cab felt like the rear diff was going out of it.. The fix was to pull the yoke apart and grease the splines.It lasted for about a year then had to redo it.Not sure what yokes were ran on the full size trucks that year but might be worth a try.

Quick Reply: rear clunking noise