Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Rear Axle Seal

Old 05-13-2008, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Axle Seal

I have a 04 CC with the 5.4 FX4 package. I think I have a leaking drivers side rear axle seal. When I get out of the truck after driving it it smells and there was some light smoke coming out. I thought I had a stuck caliper, but it came right off and doesnt' seem to be the problem. I noticed Grease in side of the wheel when I took it off and in the inside brake pad, which lead me to the seal. What does everyone think?

If it is the seal what should I expect to spend on replacing that? Is it something I can do or should I leave it to the dealership?

Thanks for the help!!
Old 05-13-2008, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure what seal you are refering to. I am fairly new to the f150 community, but the only seal I know on a solid axle is the one around the differential. This would leak fluid too, 75-90 or 75-140 diff fluid. Grease you say? Interesting. Have you had it serviced at a quick lube place lately or the brakes done. Maybe someone made a mistake.
I would clean it up drive a short distance and check it again. Let is know what you find.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the axle seal is leaking, its not that big of a job,you have to remove the differential cover and C-clip that holds the axle in place,then the caliper and bracket,remove rotor and axle to get to the seal.I would replace the other side while you have gone that far,make sure to use the right gear lube,i'm pretty sure it calls for synthetic not sure about the weight.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yep sounds like an axle seal, make sure you refill it with synthetic 75-140 and add friction modifier if it has a locking rear end

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Axle Seal