Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Rear axle issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear axle issue

I have a 2007 F150 with a chewed up axle. It makes noises when I turn. I took the axle cover off and found drivers side axle chewed up. My questions are is this a common issue and what might have caused it? And how hard is it to change the axle. I havnt look at the rest of the posi unit and other axle but from first look they dont seem to be chewed up yet. Any help will do. I bought the truck dirt cheap and would like to fix it the cheapest way possible.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:59 AM

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

To answer your first question I don't believe its a common issue for an axle to go out unless diff maintenance has been neglected for the entire life of the truck. Other than that things like hard launches or just general abuse COULD cause this.

Without any pictures it's hard to know for sure the condition of the other axle components, I suggest you do a more thorough inspection. Look for things like broken teeth on the ring gear and the condition of the c clips on the axles as well as the carrier unit in general.

The cheapest way to fix it would probably to look at local junk yards and or craigslist for a used axle to swap into the truck.

Quick Reply: Rear axle issue