Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Ran out of Gas. Won't start back up.

Old 06-14-2009, 03:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ran out of Gas. Won't start back up.

Hey guys, new to the forum here. Hate to ask for help with my first post but I'm not sure what else to do. Bought my 1989 f150 today, was driving it home from the dealership and it ran out of gas. I'm retarded and didn't think to stop right when i left. Anyways, walked 5 miles, got gas, walked back. Put gas in it and it started, drove about 500 feet and it shut off again. I think this was due to bad battery cables, i changed them. Truck will not start back up with plenty of gas and seafoam. It's a dual tank 5.8 with fuel injection. What are your guesses? Fuel filter, fuel pump, or something else? What tools do i need to change the fuel filter? couldn't hurt to start there right? truck is on the side of the road at the moment and i really don't want to pay for a tow. You think i fried the pump? or sucked some trash into the filter when it ran out of gas?

Thanks for your help guys, if i can get this thing running smoothly i'll be posting here until the old truck blows up.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since the pump always pulls from the bottom of the tank sucking up trash does not occur that often, You might have finished off the pump or the filter might have been close to plugged and will not allow fuel to pass through it. To change the filter you might need the fuel line tool for a 5/16 inch fuel line.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:10 PM

Here's an update. Got plenty of gas in it (8 gallons). Took off the fuel filter, could blow through it fine. When i turn the key i hear the pump prime. So i started working my way up to the front. I cracked the bleeder on the fuel rail and gas comes out. So last thing it could be is my injectors right? I put a bunch of seafoam in with the gas as well. Do i need to replace the injectors? Are they just gunked up from running out of gas? seems like anything that would gunk up injectors wouldn't get past the filter? Is there anything electrical that might cause the injectors to malfunction?

Oh and if anyone knows of a guide to taking off the upper intake manifold that would be great, i got halfway through it but theres one bolt that is a star key or something and i don't know where to get it. Chilton didn't tell me what tool to use, just that it's a star key screw
Old 06-15-2009, 04:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have 2 tanks, right? Can it be started using other tank? Fuel pump is cooled by gas, so running out of gas might cause pump overheating, and as a result pump might be dead. Have you checked fuel pressure? I don't think replacing injectors before running a pressure test and reading error codes is a good idea.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:31 PM

You're absolutely right. I'm going to pressure test it tonight, anyone have the specs for what it should be? I can hear the pump engage, or prime, or whatever it does in the on position. But when i push the pin down on the little valve, only a little gas squirts out of the fuel rail. i think the fuel pump may still be working but may just be super weak? is that a possibility? or maybe one of the pumps is still fine but the other isn't working? would that cause very very low fuel pressure? Just making guesses here. I'll pressure test it when i get home from work and let y'all know what i got.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ran out of Gas. Won't start back up.