Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Ran out of gas w/ 1/4 tank and 119 miles to E

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 08:43 AM

Received 126 Likes on 90 Posts
Default Ran out of gas w/ 1/4 tank and 119 miles to E

So yesterday morning I remote started my truck to warm it up before leaving for work. About 10 minutes later, I go out to get in and am putting some things in my truck. It dies as I'm doing so. I thought maybe I reached the 15 minute limit that I set for the remote start and it had shut off. So I get in and crank it. It starts, but bogs down, sputters, and dies. I try to crank it again a few second later, and it won't even start. It sounded like I was out of gas. I looked at the gauge, and I had a little less than 1/4 tank of gas and 119 miles to E. The same as it was when I parked it the night before. I had some gas in the garage that I keep for the lawn mower, so I put in about 2 gallons of gas and crank it again. It starts fine. I drive around the corner to the gas station and fill up. I was only able to put in 29 gallons...on a 36 gallon tank

So now I'm really confused. I thought there was a possibility that the gauge was just really that far off. But only being able to put in 29 gallons of gas tells me something else entirely. The only thing I can guess is that maybe my tune (Diablo) is throwing things off? I am wondering if in their tunes they dictate gas tank size? I'm sure I'm reaching, but I don't know what else it could be. So I guess I can't ever let it get down to under a 1/4 tank without fear of running out of gas. I'm just glad it happened in my driveway and not while I was on the highway.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:56 AM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Do u park at a incline at all? Or is it flat?
Old 03-14-2014, 10:00 AM

Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts

So you really put in 31 gallons of gas. 29 at the station + 2 at home. Still short of 36.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by smokdsterlingFX4
Do u park at a incline at all? Or is it flat?
I do park on an incline. But even when I was driving home the day before, I know I was just under a 1/4 tank and had considered stopping for gas. My gauge has been off a little before from parking in my driveway, but not by that much.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by venatic
So you really put in 31 gallons of gas. 29 at the station + 2 at home. Still short of 36.
Good point. I forgot to add the 2 gallons that I added at home. But yeah, that still should have left me with around 5 gallons in the tank.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:33 PM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

I've seen several post on this forum about incorrect readings on the fuel senders in the newer trucks. Sounds like a trip to the dealership. I would get it repaired/documented while it's still under warranty.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:58 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

This is not the. first post about this happening. I'm beginning to wonder if some trucks could possibly have the smaller tank (29 gal.) instead of the 36 gal. tank even though the paperwork says it has the larger tank. Hmmmm
Old 03-14-2014, 08:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by il_duce
So yesterday morning I remote started my truck to warm it up before leaving for work.
The real question that needs to be answered here is why you are warming up your vehicle when you live in TX?
Old 03-14-2014, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by OutdoorPodcast
The real question that needs to be answered here is why you are warming up your vehicle when you live in TX?
Haha. Because it was 42 degrees and that was cold here

Well on another forum I saw people saying that because the 36 gallon tank is so long, that maybe being on an incline did in fact cause it to seem like it was out of gas. I guess it's been a problem before.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:07 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Rule of thumb to follow in this case is to NOT allow your truck to run under 1/4 tank, not just for the fact the fuel pump pick up tube is center of the tank but for the fact the fuel is the pumps coolant. Running low on a regular basis WILL lower the life expectancy of the pump.

Quick Reply: Ran out of gas w/ 1/4 tank and 119 miles to E