Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Radiator Help Please newbie

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator Help Please newbie (sorry wrong forum)

Earlier today my '87 F150 302 overheated and broke down in the road. First thing I checked was the oil, and it was very low, so I filled it. I let the truck cool down and put some water in the radiator. The truck finally started again (before it cranked very weakly but didn't even try to start). Once it started it went a couple miles and broke down again right in my driveway. I realized that most(if not all) of the water had leaked out of the radiator. I can look under the hood on the passenger side beside the radiator and see coolant leaking out of the drain plug. My real question is that the part on the auto repair store's site does not look like the one in my truck. Mine has a rubber gasket underneath of the black wing nut looking piece. Can I replace with a regular (one solid piece) one from the store? Sorry, I'm new to this site and not exactly a mechanic. Also, on the way home it made a slight clunking noise under the hood. The temperature gauge did not show overheating, but judging by the smoke I'd say thats what it is. Thanks

Sorry, I don't know how to delete this. Did not realize that this was late model fords. My bad

Last edited by StumpJumper87; 08-24-2011 at 09:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Radiator Help Please newbie