Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Question for a 2007 Ford F150 5.4L V8 Triton FFV with error code P0430.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 02:15 AM
Born to Fish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for a 2007 Ford F150 5.4L V8 Triton FFV with error code P0430.

I bought my truck about a week ago and last night the check engine light came on. Advance ran the code and P0430 was returned. I know I will need to replace the oil filter as the Carquest (god bless) filter installed was leaking around the seal. They also replaced the air filter and plugs and plug wires - the air filter I already switched from Carquest and I ordered new plugs and wires. They also mentioned they had replaced the fuel filter - 99% likely with a Carquest filter. So, I also ordered a new Motorcraft filter. I have also added Lucas to the tank since then.

Is there an other suggestions for dealing with this? The engine is as smooth as can be with no rough idling, hard vibrations, pings or ticks so I do not believe it to be an O2 sensor.

Thanks!
Old 05-30-2013, 10:57 AM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

P0430 is a catalytic converter performance code. I believe it is the right bank of the motor. It can a bad cat, bad O2 sensor after the cat or an exhaust leak. I start by looking at all the O2 sensor wires making sure they didn't melt on the exhaust or manifold. Past that you'd need tech info. on testing the O2 sensors to confirm replacement. Last and most expensive would be a new cat.
I reread your post, none of the things I mentioned would initially cause performance issues. You're doing all the right things but only the fuel additives and filters will possibly help.

Last edited by Marc D; 05-30-2013 at 11:00 AM.
The following users liked this post:
bourbonandv8s (05-31-2013)
Old 05-31-2013, 03:02 AM
Born to Fish

I'm going to run Seafoam through a vacuum line and have one of the local mechanics look at it since I told him the code and he said that it's usually just a bad connection on a sensor and he'd look it over - also he'd install the fuel filter for free since I already bought the part!

If I have to end up buying a cat, I'll probably end up with a Magnaflow cat since they're sub $150 for my truck.

Thanks for your help though!
Old 12-18-2014, 12:29 PM

Received 224 Likes on 204 Posts

I have the same code. And, I'm sorry for reviving such an old thread, but how'd it work out for you?
Old 12-21-2014, 02:41 PM

Code
P0430
  • Make
  • Ford

• Description
  • Catalyst Efficiency Low - B Bank

Conditions For Setting This Code
  • Engine started, vehicle driven at steady cruise speed for 5 minutes, and the PCM detected the switch rate of the rear HO2S-12 was close to the switch rate of front HO2S (it should be much slower).

Possible Causes
  • * Air leaks at the exhaust manifold or in the exhaust pipes * Catalytic converter is damaged, contaminated or it has failed * ECT/CHT sensor has lost its calibration (the signal is incorrect) * Engine cylinders misfiring, or the ignition timing is over retarded * Engine oil is contaminated * Front HO2S or rear HO2S is contaminated with fuel or moisture * Front HO2S and/or the rear HO2S is loose in the mounting hole * Front HO2S much older than the rear HO2S (HO2S-11 is lazy) * Fuel system pressure is too high (check the pressure regulator) * Rear HO2S wires improperly connected or the HO2S has failed
  • * ECT/CHT sensor has lost its calibration (the signal is incorrect) * Engine cylinders misfiring, or the ignition timing is over retarded * Engine oil is contaminated * Front HO2S or rear HO2S is contaminated with fuel or moisture * Front HO2S and/or the rear HO2S is loose in the mounting hole * Front HO2S much older than the rear HO2S (HO2S-11 is lazy) * Fuel system pressure is too high (check the pressure regulator) * Rear HO2S wires improperly connected or the HO2S has failed
Old 12-27-2014, 02:25 AM

try unplugging your battery for about 30 secs to a minute.,.....i had the same and did the same and it never came back on, try it on yours

Quick Reply: Question for a 2007 Ford F150 5.4L V8 Triton FFV with error code P0430.