Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Pros and cons of complete engine flush

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pros and cons of complete engine flush

I posted in a different thread about my problem (Sludge~vibration)... I am leaning towards doing this, anyone have any thoughts? My truck is a 06 f-150 5.4 with 50,000 miles and has a major sludge issue!
Old 03-11-2009, 11:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I suppose that i'm offering some "russian way" again, but anyway here's my 0.02. If you want to completely flush the engine - disassemble it and clean it with carb cleaner. It's a real pain but it's one of the best ways i know. You may also want to use some oil system flusher but it will take about a week of daily oil changes. It's the way it works in here.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Fast Hampster
I suppose that i'm offering some "russian way" again, but anyway here's my 0.02. If you want to completely flush the engine - disassemble it and clean it with carb cleaner. It's a real pain but it's one of the best ways i know. You may also want to use some oil system flusher but it will take about a week of daily oil changes. It's the way it works in here.

Fast, Thanks for the advice! So, what you are saying is NOT to do the engine flush with a flush machine? It is not going to be feasible for me to tear the whole engine down and clean it manually, so I am either stuck with cleaning it with additives and oil changes or taking it in to get "flushed". I have just heard some bad things about doing the flush thing, not sure what to think about it .
Old 03-12-2009, 09:41 AM
Local Roofer

How did it get so sludged up just curious? Not changing the oil?
Old 03-12-2009, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by 02flaresidesport
How did it get so sludged up just curious? Not changing the oil?

yes:whistling2 :
Old 03-12-2009, 07:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You may want to apply some WEAK cleaning oil additives, and clean it "step by step". Not sure which oil you usually use, modern synthetic oil always has some cleaning components in it. Applying some heavy-duty stuff might cause oil channels clogging up by pieces of dirt you currently have inside.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:04 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Guess I'm too out dated, what are your talking about? Have heard and tried colling system flushes but an oil flush? That crap is hard to disolve and get rid of the the old and outlawed HOT TANK.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

put a can of sea foam in your oil... run it for no more than 2 days... less if you drive a long ways to work... then drain oil, put fresh oil filter on with fresh oil... repeat if necessary... personally if it is that bad take it to someone who can flush the oil pipeline with a highly concentrated detergent... have had it done in the past and works miracles... vacuum came up like 4 percent...may not sound like much to you but on a 4 banger it was a lot...good luck..
Old 03-13-2009, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Good old Bill
Guess I'm too out dated, what are your talking about? Have heard and tried colling system flushes but an oil flush? That crap is hard to disolve and get rid of the the old and outlawed HOT TANK.
Bill, I am not real familiar with the whole flushing thing, but there are machines out there that hook up to your engine and run a hot detergent through your who motor and filter it out to remove any sludge or varnish that may be built up. The only thing that scares me is that after you put clean oil back in you are basicly starting it up "dry"....
Old 03-13-2009, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Fast Hampster
You may want to apply some WEAK cleaning oil additives, and clean it "step by step". Not sure which oil you usually use, modern synthetic oil always has some cleaning components in it. Applying some heavy-duty stuff might cause oil channels clogging up by pieces of dirt you currently have inside.
Fast, that is what I am doing now. I think I am going to stick with this solution as it seems to be the least aggressive and the least amount of risk involved. Right now, I put a half quart of ATF in with the new oil, thats supposed to work as well.

Karl, I have used to sea foam on one of my oil changes about a week ago, and so far that seemed to do the best job of removing the sludge (after only 300 miles the oil came out jet black), so I might keep using that stuff.... I cannot seem to find any dealerships around my area that have a flush machine, not sure where to look for one. maybe a quick lube type of place?

Quick Reply: Pros and cons of complete engine flush