Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Proper tire size? 2004 F150

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Proper tire size? 2004 F150

Just picked up a F150. First ford in my life. Problem is the front tires are 265-70-R17 and rears are 265-65-R17. Not mechanically smart and wondered what problems I could be having with these tires being different sizes. I am experiencing quite a bit of play and wander in the steering and guessing the tires might have something to do with it, but what other issues would cause the wander. help with this would be appreciated. Oh it's a RWD not a 4x4.

Last edited by Wee Jock; 07-31-2016 at 10:54 AM.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wee Jock
Just picked up a F150. First ford in my life. Problem is the front tires are 265-70-R17 and rears are 265-65-R17. Not mechanically smart and wondered what problems with these tires being different sizes. i am experiencing quite a bit of play and wander in the steering and guessing the tires might have something to do with it, but other issues would cause the wander.
sounds to me like the previous owner installed a poor mans leveling kit! Lol.
Old 07-31-2016, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by supersnake04
sounds to me like the previous owner installed a poor mans leveling kit! Lol.
Thanks , but the comical answer really doesn't address the problem. I'm looking for help not humor, but levity helps when frustration is high.
Old 07-31-2016, 04:20 PM

Thanks , but the comical answer really doesn't address the problem. I'm looking for help not humor, but levity helps when frustration is high.
oh, well then. No, it shouldn't really hurt the truck as long as one size is on the front, and one size is on the back, unless it is a 4x4, in that case I would suggest you refrain from using it because the front and rear ratios are not going to be the same. Now, if one tire on one side was bigger than the one on the other side, that could cause steering problems, mess with the abs, tc, etc. In either case, I would encourage you to correct the problem as soon as possible. That better?

Edit: I see now it's a RWD

Last edited by supersnake04; 07-31-2016 at 04:23 PM.
Old 07-31-2016, 04:30 PM

oh, well then. No, it shouldn't really hurt the truck as long as one size is on the front, and one size is on the back, unless it is a 4x4, in that case I would suggest you refrain from using it because the front and rear ratios are not going to be the same. Now, if one tire on one side was bigger than the one on the other side, that could cause steering problems, mess with the abs, tc, etc. In either case, I would encourage you to correct the problem as soon as possible. That better?

Edit: I see now it's a RWD

Yup thanks, much better. So if it's not a tire size issue between front and rear, whats left? in addition the ABS & brake light are both on. am I looking at major work on front end, tie rods, ball joint, control arms? I'm familiar with the names but not mechanically inclined so don't know what to expect for costs. I know there are several avenues for repairs but I'd like to know whats most common with these lights on if possible.
Old 07-31-2016, 04:41 PM

Yup thanks, much better. So if it's not a tire size issue between front and rear, whats left? in addition the ABS & brake light are both on. am I looking at major work on front end, tie rods, ball joint, control arms? I'm familiar with the names but not mechanically inclined so don't know what to expect for costs. I know there are several avenues for repairs but I'd like to know whats most common with these lights on if possible.
since the truck is wandering I would assume the front end could be out of line, the steering has some play so I would assume it's got some slack from age, tie rods could be the culprit along withe some of the other things you suggested, as for the abs/brake light, the truck is probably noticing the difference in the front and back wheel speed and showing a wheel speed sensor fault or something like that,you could take it to a parts place like advance auto and have them run an diagnostic on the truck.
Old 07-31-2016, 05:07 PM

since the truck is wandering I would assume the front end could be out of line, the steering has some play so I would assume it's got some slack from age, tie rods could be the culprit along withe some of the other things you suggested, as for the abs/brake light, the truck is probably noticing the difference in the front and back wheel speed and showing a wheel speed sensor fault or something like that,you could take it to a parts place like advance auto and have them run an diagnostic on the truck.

So that takes me back to my original question of tire sizes between front and back. One guy I tried to get the truck into was way too busy and it's the long weekend, but his first comment was the tire sizes. He said that with the new certification rules in place that took effect July 1st 2016 it would fail just on that alone.
Old 07-31-2016, 05:11 PM

So that takes me back to my original question of tire sizes between front and back. One guy I tried to get the truck into was way too busy and it's the long weekend, but his first comment was the tire sizes. He said that with the new certification rules in place that took effect July 1st 2016 it would fail just on that alone.
you talking about a mechanic? I meant a parts house, like a Napa, autozone, advance auto, o'reilly's, etc. most of them will do a free OBDll check on the truck with a little handheld computer. It will tell you what fault it's showing.
Old 07-31-2016, 05:44 PM

Thanks I will try them and see what they say.
Old 07-31-2016, 05:47 PM

Thanks I will try them and see what they say.
no problem. Here to help!

Quick Reply: Proper tire size? 2004 F150