Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

programmer equals chattering

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 09:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default programmer equals chattering

I have a 2009 f150 with 120k on it. runs amazing . I ordered three tunes from more power tuning. performance econo and tow. I put the tunes on the programmer than downloaded to my truck. I have had nothing but problem. It makes a noise that what my dad describes as valve chattering from to much timing . So I talked to more power tuning and they have the best customer service. they sent me more tunes. They said also to try run some seafoam through it, but hate seafoam I run 44k best stuff on the market imo. Has anybody had any problems like I have described. The only time it does it is when it is under hard acceleration just cruising speed it doesn't do it.
Any help will be most appreciated
Old 01-08-2015, 04:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dirtysouth pipeliner
I have a 2009 f150 with 120k on it. runs amazing . I ordered three tunes from more power tuning. performance econo and tow. I put the tunes on the programmer than downloaded to my truck. I have had nothing but problem. It makes a noise that what my dad describes as valve chattering from to much timing . So I talked to more power tuning and they have the best customer service. they sent me more tunes. They said also to try run some seafoam through it, but hate seafoam I run 44k best stuff on the market imo. Has anybody had any problems like I have described. The only time it does it is when it is under hard acceleration just cruising speed it doesn't do it. Any help will be most appreciated
I would call them and ask what octane fuel are the tunes for. Sounds like it could be spark knock which can sound similar to a valve rattle. there is no reason a valve would chatter based on different tunes. Could be a timing issue in the tune of you don't have high enough octane fuel
Old 01-08-2015, 10:21 PM

Received 97 Likes on 96 Posts

I agree with travis87. Put some higher octane in there and see if it goes away.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:17 PM

Ran higher octane but does same thing. I love my tune cause I got big tires. Truck on 35s. And 18 mpg is awesome
Old 01-30-2015, 12:53 PM

How old are the plugs? If they are original, then at 120k, they are due to be changed.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:02 PM

Thank you very much . Ima try that . What about the boots?
Old 02-18-2015, 10:46 PM

I put new plugs and ran system cleaner. Still doing it. Any ideas?
Old 02-19-2015, 01:18 AM

Sorry I missed your question about the boots. Yes, change the boots whenever you change plugs.
Can you retard the timing from your programmer? If the tunes have the timing advanced too much, that will cause detonation.

Quick Reply: programmer equals chattering