Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Power Steering Problems. PLEASE HELP!!!

Old 03-13-2014, 09:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Power Steering Problems. PLEASE HELP!!!

Hey there, I am having hard steering when I turn either way accompanied by a loud 'errrrring' sound. I had the power steering pump and the rack and pinion replaced less than 2 months ago, OUCH, and the same problem has come back. Yes replacing the 2 biggest part of the steering didn't fix the problem, my dad was not happy when we "had" have those replaced and is not happy not that the problem has come back. I have tried spraying the U-joints with penetrating oils and all that, and it didn't help a bit. I tried revving the engine to 2500 rpms and the steering was slightly better. People say that this means that the pump is failing, but I had a brand new one put in less than 2 months ago, that seems awful fast for it to be failing again. Any input or opinion will help tremendously.

Thanks Again.

Edit: I have a 2008 f150 xlt 4.6l v8 4x4.

Last edited by bigDK; 03-13-2014 at 09:59 AM.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:15 AM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Little info as to what year make model of truck would be very useful. For all we know it could be a 1956 f-100.
The following users liked this post:
bigDK (03-13-2014)
Old 03-13-2014, 09:58 AM

Haha, yeah sorry about that, its a 2008 f150 xlt 4.6l v8 4x4.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:34 AM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

Power steering pumps are a notorious noise makers, especially if they are not installed properly. Damage can happen within hours of installing a new one. There is a sequence of bleeding steps that is required when you replace them and even more important when you replace a rack-n-pinion at the same time. Lots of trapped air will let the pump run dry. Remember too, if all the hoses weren't changed (or flushed) then contamination can ruin the new pump as well. I'd return to the shop and request a new pump and a fluid flush. If it's making noise, it's damaged and needs to be replaced again. Good luck
Old 03-13-2014, 10:42 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

problem could still be the steering shaft u-joint's ... most people think it's the pump or rack..
Old 03-13-2014, 11:20 AM

Yeah I don't know if the lines were replaced but they were bled and were flushed 3 times. It worked fine for 2 months up until now, there weren't any problems earlier than that so I'm not quite sure if there any air in there that could've ruined the new pump/rack. Ive also seen that alot of people are having problems with the U-joints and that were also diagnosed as a pump or rack problem but I don't know how to check if that is it and not the pump itself.
Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power Steering Problems. PLEASE HELP!!!