Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Power steering?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 02:22 PM
roadslave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Power steering?

Hi guys....

I KNOW this has been brought up before and I did a search around but didn't see quite exactly what I'm experiencing. I'm new to the site so please excuse me and my tired old saw.....

I do most of my own maintenance. I've had power steering go out on other vehicles before but this one "sounds" different. Instead of what I would expect - the high whining sound or squeal coming from the power steering pump I'm getting a more mechanical sound, a "grinding" almost binding sound that only occurs when I turn the wheel whether the car is stationary or not. No turn, no sound. Turn the wheel and well, in a parking garage it wakes up the dead. But it's a real "grind" like a creaking door hinge that changes in pitch. If I turn the wheel slow it's a low grind and if I turn the wheel fast it starts the dog barking. I'm not used to the F150 (1997 V6) and it seems to sound different. Anyway thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

Rudd
Old 07-23-2009, 02:18 AM
roadslave

yeah... ok... as I suspected. It's not the power steering pump 'cause I took it apart today and it's working fine. The noise I'm getting is coming from somewhere beyond that point.... It makes the noise when the car is off (although I can't turn the wheel much obviously) but that's the noise.

this is my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:37 PM
roadslave

Ball Joints...... ugh......

Quick Reply: Power steering?