Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

please help! diving left when hard brake

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 01:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help! diving left when hard brake

I recently bought a 2001 f150 , my first ford and it is diving to the left when braking hard. when lightly braking no dive. I have replaced the front rotors, calipers and pads and also the passenger rear rotor caliper and pads. I have not got to the driver side rear yet. Throughout the process of replacing these parts and test driving, the vehicle has acted exactly the same diving to the left. should I replace the pass front hose next or check something else?

THe truck has 150k on it and from what I can tell never had brake service. thats why I started just replacing everything instead of troubleshooting. Now I am ready to test some things since I have new parts. the brake fluid was pretty nasty too

what do I test next?
Old 02-02-2016, 08:11 PM

Received 132 Likes on 100 Posts

Have you checked the front alignment?
Old 02-03-2016, 04:19 PM

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

X2 You may have worn front end and steering parts that allow it to steer to the left. My '99 needed ball joints at 70K.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:30 AM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

My Dads 2001 did the same thing and it was the brake hose. It progressively got worse to the point the brakes were smoking from sticking on passenger side.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by STSCDave
My Dads 2001 did the same thing and it was the brake hose. It progressively got worse to the point the brakes were smoking from sticking on passenger side.
Hose was the next thing I tried. Thanks all for the tips problem solved w brakes was the pass frnt hose...$22 from advance. This thing brakes awesome for a 7700lb truck...very happy with basic rotors and $20 metallic pads. Previous owner had ceramics on there and they chewed the rotors up pretty well..hopefully y'all can help w the p0401 code
Old 02-14-2016, 10:03 PM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by volmark
Hose was the next thing I tried. Thanks all for the tips problem solved w brakes was the pass frnt hose...$22 from advance. This thing brakes awesome for a 7700lb truck...very happy with basic rotors and $20 metallic pads. Previous owner had ceramics on there and they chewed the rotors up pretty well..hopefully y'all can help w the p0401 code
Sounds like Ford had a problem with a batch of OEM hoses!

Quick Reply: please help! diving left when hard brake