Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Please Help: Any advice is appreciated.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help: Any advice is appreciated.

I moved to a new City not long ago and recently experienced engine problems with my 2010 F-150 Supercrew. All of a sudden while driving my vehicle started violently shaking and I pulled over. When I popped the hood I saw that my engine was causing the violent shaking. After turning my vehicle off and assuming the worse, I re-started it and was able to get about 5km before it happened again. I turned my vehicle back off and assuming the worse called Ford roadside assistance and waited for a tow to an auto shop / Ford dealer. However, after waiting for hours for the tow, I turned my truck back on and was able to make the 15km trip home with no violent engine shaking. I tried driving my truck again the next day and did not experience the problems. However, a few days ago it happened again, and this time the engine light came on. I did have an oil change at a quick lube type of place only 2 days before and was wondering if something went wrong. I am not very mechanically inclined as you can tell.

I took my truck to a local Ford after talking with Ford dealer on the phone, as they thought it might be transmission related and not all local Ford's deal with transmission problems. I wasn't sure if it was a spark plug issue, engine mount, or something else.

Ford has now had my truck for 2 days and just called to say they still aren't 100% sure what is wrong but to be prepared for the worse (new engine). They need to get inside my engine and asked to keep the truck for a few more days. I am a little skeptical as they also asked for my maintenance records when I brought up warranty questions about the engine / parts.

Is it realistic for it to take this much time to diagnose? I'm tempted to pull my truck from them and take to a local mom and pop type of shop as the service advisor at Ford is sketching me out, not communicating well about the potential issues and being pretty wishy-washy. Should I just be patient as engine diagnosis can take this long? Should I be doing something else? I am going to ask very specific price questions before letting them keep my vehicle any longer, because I am not sure what they are going to charge me for at this point.

Any suggestions are much appreciated!
Old 10-24-2014, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Additional info:

88,000 km / 4.5 years (original owner), so under the limited warranty period.

I also need a vehicle for work and even being without one for two days has been trouble. When I asked the dealership about a courtesy vehicle my service said she would have to check if any were available and hasn't called back in 2 hours.

Quick Reply: Please Help: Any advice is appreciated.