Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Play in steering

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 04:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Play in steering

Hope someone can help. Few months back my steering was solid, no play what so ever. I now have about 3/4 of an inch play in steering. Also the tuck started wandering while driving. Got to the point I won't drive it. It's an 03 F150 4.6 xlt RWD. I put her front end up on jack stands and was poking around seeing what's what.
I read a few posts trying to pin point the cause. The upper ball joints didn't look to good so I replaced both upper control arms. Earlier today I ordered a pitman and idler arm hoping that that's the culprit. While i was up under taking the old ones off I noticed above the steering box (not a mechanic and no less names of parts) a plastic cone looking cover. I had freed it and pushed it up what I believe is the steering shaft. I looked at a knuckle and grabbed it with my hand and started turning it. There was play in doing so where both shafts, above the knuckle and below where it runs into the steering box bit no movement what so ever from the pitman arm. Does anyone know what thecause may be and what I can do to fix it?
Old 07-30-2016, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guess I'm going to rebuild the gear box, try to anyway or replace it if I screw it up. Not much else it could be I reckon.

Quick Reply: Play in steering