Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Pinion bearing problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Pinion bearing problems

anyone else who has a lifted truck have problems with their rear pinion bearing going bad? and continuisly hear a humming noise coming from the rear? i've gone through a bearing about every 8 months. is it cuz its lifted or somethign else???
Old 01-29-2009, 06:48 PM
_McLovin_

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Are the endplay's correct on the bearing when they are installed. That can be a quick way to kill a bearing. Why are they bearings failing? Probably either brinneling from having too much endplay or false brinneling or frosting from having too much preload.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by exitwound
Are the endplay's correct on the bearing when they are installed. That can be a quick way to kill a bearing. Why are they bearings failing? Probably either brinneling from having too much endplay or false brinneling or frosting from having too much preload.
+2

Also, how much lift are we talking? Anything over 6 and you need to be checking your driveline angles and making sure they aren't too extreme, may mean getting thicker motor mounts to angle the engine, trans so the trans points more downwards(not to extreme ofcourse). And then making sure your driveshafts are the correct lengths. My truck is getting a 8" Rize lift, I'm getting different engine, trans mounts and a longer front drive shaft. The rear shaft is fine.

The reason I bring up the lift is because you could be putting more pressure on one side of the bearing than the other.

Quick Reply: Pinion bearing problems