Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

PCV and sludge

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 10:04 PM

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Default PCV and sludge

No one wants a sludged up engine, but it seems from what i have read when the topic is brought up no one thinks about the pcv.
There are alot of different things that can cause sludge, like over due oil changes, coolant leaks, etc but the often over looked Positve Crankcase Ventilation system is more often a contributor to the problem if not the culprit all together.

The reason is condensation! Oil and water do not mix and this can cause sludge build up. The main benefit of the PCV system is to remove gasses from the crankcase. Gases that are full of contaminates such as soot, fuel and exhaust from blow-by but also to keep hot air pressurization to a minimum. The perfect system would keep a vacuum on your crankcase at all times. This is why many race cars use vacuum pumps, because in a vacuum the rotating assembly moves more easily and it frees up horsepower.

When your PCV valve gets clogged pressure builds until it pushes the pressurized exhaust gasses into the intake system, essentially working in reverse blowing air on the air filter side instead of the system instead of pulling it from there. So instead of fresh air coming in and the exhaust gases getting burned, you never evacuate all of the gasses (AND CONTAMINATES) from the blow-by. Contaminates( such as fuel, carbon, carbon dioxide, and water vapors) build up and turn your oil acidic which leads to oil break down and deposits dropping out of suspension to build up in your engine.

So it doesnt matter which oil you are using or how often you change it, if your PCV system is not working properly your oil will not perform as well as it could. The remedy here is to change your PCV every fifty thousand miles if possible. If its not possible to change it then clean it. I can not replace my PCV Valve so i spray Kroil, or WD 40 in it every oil change and let it sit over night. this keeps the valve clean and working properly.

So in short a PCV is only $10 at max and a can of PB Blaster is less than $5 so you have no excuse to let it go. Clean or replace your PCV and keep your engine clean

james
Old 11-23-2013, 02:56 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesyarbrough
No one wants a sludged up engine, but it seems from what i have read when the topic is brought up no one thinks about the pcv.
There are alot of different things that can cause sludge, like over due oil changes, coolant leaks, etc but the often over looked Positve Crankcase Ventilation system is more often a contributor to the problem if not the culprit all together.

The reason is condensation! Oil and water do not mix and this can cause sludge build up. The main benefit of the PCV system is to remove gasses from the crankcase. Gases that are full of contaminates such as soot, fuel and exhaust from blow-by but also to keep hot air pressurization to a minimum. The perfect system would keep a vacuum on your crankcase at all times. This is why many race cars use vacuum pumps, because in a vacuum the rotating assembly moves more easily and it frees up horsepower.

When your PCV valve gets clogged pressure builds until it pushes the pressurized exhaust gasses into the intake system, essentially working in reverse blowing air on the air filter side instead of the system instead of pulling it from there. So instead of fresh air coming in and the exhaust gases getting burned, you never evacuate all of the gasses (AND CONTAMINATES) from the blow-by. Contaminates( such as fuel, carbon, carbon dioxide, and water vapors) build up and turn your oil acidic which leads to oil break down and deposits dropping out of suspension to build up in your engine.

So it doesnt matter which oil you are using or how often you change it, if your PCV system is not working properly your oil will not perform as well as it could. The remedy here is to change your PCV every fifty thousand miles if possible. If its not possible to change it then clean it. I can not replace my PCV Valve so i spray Kroil, or WD 40 in it every oil change and let it sit over night. this keeps the valve clean and working properly.

So in short a PCV is only $10 at max and a can of PB Blaster is less than $5 so you have no excuse to let it go. Clean or replace your PCV and keep your engine clean

james
Where is the PCV valve on the 5.4? All of the other trucks I have owned have had replaceable ones.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:04 PM

Its built into the valve cover on the drivers side. You will see a hose ru ning to it. Disconnect the hose and spray a bunch of cleaner or penetrating oil in there to keep it from clogging up.

A good wY to do it would be with b12 carb cleaner also. Spray it a few times then let it soak and the start it up and let it run a few mins right before an oil change. You don't want carb cleaner floating around in ur oil so its good to get it out right after
The following users liked this post:
barriosman (11-23-2013)
Old 11-23-2013, 03:18 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesyarbrough
Its built into the valve cover on the drivers side. You will see a hose ru ning to it. Disconnect the hose and spray a bunch of cleaner or penetrating oil in there to keep it from clogging up.

A good wY to do it would be with b12 carb cleaner also. Spray it a few times then let it soak and the start it up and let it run a few mins right before an oil change. You don't want carb cleaner floating around in ur oil so its good to get it out right after
I'll pop the hood and take a look. Thanks.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:21 PM

Here's the hose that hooks up to it
Old 11-23-2013, 03:23 PM

This is the valve itself. To unhook the hose u need to twist the plastic retaining ring. Dont man handle it or u will break it. With the retaining ring twisted pull up on the hose and it should come off. Make sure it snaps when u put it back on too.
The following users liked this post:
barriosman (11-23-2013)

Quick Reply: PCV and sludge