Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Parking brake cable replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Parking brake cable replacement

I am trying to replace my intermediate parking brake cable. However, I do not have enough slack in it to slip the cable end into the connector. Is there a tension adjustment somewhere? I looked at the foot pedal in the cab and in the brake drum but I do not see anything and my Haynes manual is no help!
Old 03-08-2010, 05:42 PM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

What year model? Body style?
Old 03-08-2010, 05:46 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

It's a 94 from his profile.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:53 AM

Haynes Manual,
Parking Brake Cables Replacement, Page 9 -18, Section 13
Old 03-22-2010, 11:16 AM

My edition of the Haynes manual does not have parking brake info in that section. All it tells me is that 92 and later trucks have an auto-tension system and that there is no adjustment. All I need is about an inch of slack so that I can slip the new cable and connector into the existing system. ???
Old 03-22-2010, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by k-mo12
I am trying to replace my intermediate parking brake cable. However, I do not have enough slack in it to slip the cable end into the connector. Is there a tension adjustment somewhere? I looked at the foot pedal in the cab and in the brake drum but I do not see anything and my Haynes manual is no help!
Intermediate cable?, my 2001 has a front cable and two rear cables. give me some more info.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:57 PM

My 94 has the cable coming out of the cab. Then, a connector that attaches to the intermediate cable. The intermediate cable runs back to a 3-way connector bracket that has 2 cables coming out of it, 1 to each rear wheel. The problem is that I don't have enough slack to slip the cable ends into the connectors.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:19 PM

I need that Parking brake connector!!
Old 03-26-2010, 05:47 PM

My local parts store (acme) had that connector. It was actually what broke to begin with, I decided to replace the cable too.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by k-mo12
My 94 has the cable coming out of the cab. Then, a connector that attaches to the intermediate cable. The intermediate cable runs back to a 3-way connector bracket that has 2 cables coming out of it, 1 to each rear wheel. The problem is that I don't have enough slack to slip the cable ends into the connectors.
Ok, when you lay under the truck and pull on your front cable, the cable will drop about 4 inches or so. the book says to have a friend pull on the cable while you locate the parking brake inside the cab. when your buddy pulls on the cable, you insert a drill bit into a small index hole on the parking brake lever inside the cab DO NOT remove the drill bit untill the cable is attached), thus leaving you the slack needed to complete what you are wanting done. How did i do it? layed on the floor facing the back wheels with my knees against the front tires. put vise grips on the cable and pulled with one hand and with the free hand inserted the end of the cable where it went.(dont put the vise grips on the end of the cable) but then again my 2001 didnt have to have that intermediate cable. It had one front cable and two rear cables. To hard to pull? Ratchet straps are like a buddy, immense strength, and they dont drink your beer. Be inventive, let us know!

Last edited by sharptp; 03-26-2010 at 10:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Parking brake cable replacement