Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Paint question???

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 06:06 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Paint question???

Hey guys, I have a question for any of you who know about paint durability...clear coat to actual paint. I'm getting my 13' fixed this week (deer hit and a week later got side swiped) So I have having front left quarter panel replaced, drivers door dents fixed and repainted. Also right passenger door dents fixed and repainted, along with rear bed panel repainted(scratches) I'm HUGE into clay bar and wax. I LOVE the way the metallic black shines!!! I picked the best place around here with the best reputation. My only question is, how will their paint compare to the paint that comes from the factory? Will it hold up as well as the factory paint? Heres what the place I'm getting it fixed at website says....

Paint and Finish - We use the best quality Dupont Performance Coatings to ensure optimum gloss and durability. Colors are mixed by factory computer codes and then custom tinted by a state of the art computer to match your vehicle’s specific color. Our Accudraft heated down draft paint booth is second to none, as it bakes on the vehicle's finish, just as the factory does.

They also give a warranty with the work they do. I just want my new pickup to be "like new" when I get it. This was a VERY unfortunate turn of events in my life, that I hope never happen(in a row) again!
Old 11-10-2014, 10:18 PM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Received 1,747 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Their paint is basically the same as the factory. When I was trained by PPG, they gave us a handout that had all the factories that used PPG. One was an f150 factory, I want to say it was the KC plant, but can't be sure. Reputable shop? Do they use waterborne?

It will hold up, and be just as durable as factory. In some cases more durable. Such as the lower areas on the panels. The factory does not put much paint there at all. The repaint your doors are getting will probably put the proper mil build on the lowers of the panels.

Remember to ask about the period of time after you pick up your truck, that you can't wax the paint. Typically it's 30 days, but some paint manufacturers can go up to 60.
The following users liked this post:
04black150 (11-12-2014)

Quick Reply: Paint question???