Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

ongoing problem with brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ongoing problem with brakes

can anyone help me out please?

I've been working on my mother-in-law's 99 f150. The left front caliper stuck. (too bad, i finally get a mother-in-law i like and it's her car that has faulty brakes...)

long story short i put on new pads, a new rotor, and a new caliper. Still stuck tight.

Then i started reading your forums. Put on a new brake line and now it's drivable.

however now it makes a grinding noise from that wheel and feels like the wheel is dragging a little. however the truck does not pull to either side whether braking or not.
any ideas?

thanks.

p.s. could a wheel baring cause this?
Old 03-24-2010, 10:16 PM

i ask because i don't remember seeing the inner wheel bearing when i installed the new rotor. and the rotor sat really close to the caliper bracket. (couldn't fit a playing card between them.)
Old 03-25-2010, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by bensabin1
i ask because i don't remember seeing the inner wheel bearing when i installed the new rotor. and the rotor sat really close to the caliper bracket. (couldn't fit a playing card between them.)
Shouldnt make a grinding noise.
Sounds like you should take it off to make sure the bearing is in there! Did you remove the bearing and the grease seal from the the old rotor? Did you repack the bearing before you installed in the new rotor, along with a new grease seal?
Old 03-26-2010, 04:10 AM

This probably goes without saying but it might not be a bad idea to take it apart and look for shiny spots. Shouldn't be grinding unless the rotor is rubbing on something or you have a bearing problem. Bearing problems are no fun, I had issues with the ones on my Ranger and was just lucky that I was always able to limp it to my buddy's shop.

And then beat it off of the spindle and go to work with sandpaper
Old 03-26-2010, 07:05 AM
OVERTHINKER

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Back to your original problem; replace the caliper pins and also the brake line hose because they are bad about collapsing internally. This should return the caliper to good working order.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:16 PM

Default thanks guys

ok, i feel like a real idiot. i went out and looked at the old rotor. apparently inner bearings don't switch themselves to the new rotor. lol. and the new brake line didn't fix the old caliper, but it sure made the new one feel better. appreciate the help guys.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by bensabin1
ok, i feel like a real idiot. i went out and looked at the old rotor. apparently inner bearings don't switch themselves to the new rotor. lol. and the new brake line didn't fix the old caliper, but it sure made the new one feel better. appreciate the help guys.
What did the inner bearing race look like, was it all scarred up from not having a bearing installed? If it was you might want to replace the inner bearing race and a new bearing, your bearing might not last that long. Most likely it will tear itself up and leave your mother inlaw stranded. If you are not sure of the condition of the inner bearing races condition, take it to the parts store and get their opinion!

Quick Reply: ongoing problem with brakes