Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Ol' girl is Jumpin - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ol' girl is Jumpin - Help!

Hello!! I have a 2001 F150 5.4L truck with 190K. She runs like a dream - normally. She has been having an issue for a few months where I hear her much louder than normal, only when I press on the gas. I thought it was the exhaust manifold from what I have read but I haven't had a chance to fix it.

Last weekend, I put gas in the truck and suddenly (as soon as we hit the highway - 55+) when I press the gas - the truck is chugging - very bad - and it is bucking a bit. It is much worse when we are 50mph or less. Stopping - it sounds like the truck is going to die but she hung in there for the whole trip. I was hoping it was the gas but I added better gas to the half the tank and it doesn't seem to be doing the trick. This is a work truck with so I just want to keep her running if possible. I am a graduate student so money is pretty tight. I will do whatever I can from home to try and fix the issue. So far from what I have read: Spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter, transmission fluid, and coils should all be replaced maybe? Do you think its still something to do with the exhaust manifold or maybe the spark plugs? Any advice on this would be soo appreciated! I want to keep this beauty running

-Rachel
Old 06-23-2016, 08:15 PM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rmed057
Hello!! I have a 2001 F150 5.4L truck with 190K. She runs like a dream - normally.
l
Your oxygen sensor is likely fried because of clogged catalytic converter. A new exhaust from front to back is most likely required.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:05 PM

Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts

any check engine light? might be a misfire
Old 06-25-2016, 08:13 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

190K miles on her.. when was the last tune-up Rachel ?
Old 06-28-2016, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by techrep
190K miles on her.. when was the last tune-up Rachel ?
Hello, yep. That'd be it. She hasn't had one done in the year since I bought it but I have no idea how long before that was the last one. I am going to be fixing a stuck caliper on it tonight then I will go ahead with the tune up. I am a terrible truck owner I feel bad! Thanks for the insight though!

Quick Reply: Ol' girl is Jumpin - Help!