Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

oil pressure issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pressure issues

Im having oil pressure issues with my 2001 f150, has the 5.4 in it. I searched the forum for a similar issue but had trouble finding one. Issue only happens on cold starts such as sitting over night. When i start the truck the oil pressure is fine, after about 5-10 seconds there is no oil pressure. After that the oil pressure is intermittent for about 1 min bouncing up and down. At first i thought maybe the gauge was clogged but i hear the valves chattering. After about 1-2 min the oil pressure is fine. As long as the engine is warm even if I wait say 5 hrs theres no issues. Is this fixable or should i get rid of the truck? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated before taking to the mechanic.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:32 AM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

Sounds like a bad oil pump or oil pump check valve. Before doing anything, I would get a can of Seafoam for the oil. You can just add it w/o an oil change. Put at least 100 miles on it and see if the problem goes away. I don't think you can replace the oil pump w/o pulling the motor or at least unbolting the engine mounts and lifting the motor enough to get the oil pan off. Good luck
Old 08-18-2014, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard of guys having this problem if they run any oil filter but a motorcraft. Not sure if it's true or not but one guy says he can't run anything but motorcraft or he has oil pressure issues.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was really looking for "I checked the oil level and it is full" from the OP. Then I was looking for "I changed the oil X amount of miles ago." Omitting those two points leaves ??????????'s galore. It can be fixed, but quit driving it as an experiment until it is fixed.

Quick Reply: oil pressure issues