Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Oil gauge issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil gauge issues

Hey guys,

I own a 96 f150 xl 4.9, 6 cylinder 5 speed with 135k miles and recently i was noticing when im in slower speeds 0-35 (gears 1-3 somtimes 4) my oil pressure gauge will flip into the red (no pressure like truck hasn't been started yet) and once the truck starts to warm up or i get going faster the oil pressure gauge goes back to normal. the drop in the gauge is odd because it will flip immediately to red then flip right back to normal. it will not slowly drop just jumps back and forth. this issue mostly happens when the truck is on the colder side and the engine block hasnt warmed up yet. i was wondering what it might be and or if anyone else has had this issue.

thanks,
Jaren
Old 03-02-2016, 02:49 PM

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

It's not a true "gauge" - it's a gauge equivalent of the old "idiot light". It registers "good" or "bad".

I'd be looking for the reason your oil pressure is dropping. It appears the "gauge" is working as designed.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:31 PM
Collision Journeyman

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

could be also your oil pressure sensor is on its way out or your oil pump is going .

Quick Reply: Oil gauge issues