Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Oil Filter Stuck

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 11:46 AM
Montani Semper Liberi

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Oil Filter Stuck

Changing oil in my '02 F150 FX4 Screw w/ 5.4 Triton 2v engine. First oil change after I bought it in December, the oil filter absolutely will not budge.... is this a job for PB Blaster or will this cause problems for the next filter?

Thanks!
Old 03-09-2013, 01:11 PM

Received 140 Likes on 99 Posts

At the risk of sounding toopit. You are trying to turn it counter clockwise right? Ive seen tight filters but never had one I couldn't get off. Are you using a decent filter wrench or trying just by hand? I doubt a penetrating fluid would help much. If the case of the filter is crushing try and get the filter wrench as close to the base as you can. Dont use water pump pliers. Get a filter wrench like this Lisle Filter Wrench

Also when installing the new filter put a little film of oil on the rubber gasket and tighten it hand tight - about 3/4 of a turn after the filter contacts the housing. Do not use a filter wrench to tighten the filter.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:34 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

First, I hope you are using an oil filter wrench or one of the cap style removal tools. Hand power rarely does it. If all else fails, then punch a screwdriver through the filter and turn. It'll be messy. I've only had Purolator filters stick, thus I don't use them anymore. Just nosy, what brand of filter are you removing?
Old 03-09-2013, 11:21 PM
Montani Semper Liberi

Wasn't enough room for the screw driver trick to work, heck couldn't even get a good enough look at it to count the number of ribs on the grip end to go buy a removal socket. I did buy one for the Motorcraft filter.

Punched 2 or three holes in the filter with screw driver before i gave up. I wedged a crow bar in across driver side tire and drove into the right side of the filter with a hammer then put all my weight on it to make it force upward to rotate counter-clockwise. Pop, she came loose!

Hand tightened the new filter, need to buy a 3/8" ratchet with extended handle or a 3/8" flex drive. The filter is just barely too far forward and down to make a normal ratchet and extensions work from the drivers side wheel well.

Filter that was removed was a Prime Guard #POF4651.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:33 AM
Montani Semper Liberi

Old Filter vs. New Filter
Attached Thumbnails Oil Filter Stuck-img405.jpg  

Quick Reply: Oil Filter Stuck