Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Oil Filter Foreign Material

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Filter Foreign Material

I purchased a brand new 2013 F150 back in September. Just before Christmas I took it to the dealership to get its very first service. It was well under the recommended mileage for an oil change, but because I planned on driving a lot over the holidays I thought I would get it done early. After leaving the dealership I drove less than 100 miles before the oil light came on and I lost all oil pressure. I called roadside assistance and they towed me to the closest dealership. When they inspected my truck they found a plastic piece that appears to be some kind of dust seal between my filter and the block that had allowed the oil to leak out. The sump was completely empty. My dealership says they don't know what the piece is or where it came from and I think they are trying to blame me, does anyone have any idea what this part is, is it associated with the filter or is it a part from the original manufacturing of the engine.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:15 AM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Looks like the packing seal that is installed on top of the oil filter for packaging.... Should be removed before installation .......

BIG opps by the tech working on your truck.......
Old 12-27-2013, 03:51 PM

Received 83 Likes on 78 Posts

Its a protective cover to keep dirt out during packing as was stated previously.
The tech was obviously in a hurry & careless at that.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:58 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Yup packaging material, that dealer owes you a new engine.

Old 12-27-2013, 05:06 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

WOW!! That is ridiculous. The dealership better step up to the plate on this one!
Old 12-27-2013, 05:37 PM

Received 77 Likes on 33 Posts

hmm this makes me want to change the oil myself next time ahaha
Old 12-27-2013, 05:43 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Andygod; please update us on what you find out about the piece packing as well as to what the dealer has to say about the repairs to your truck, thanks, Jim
Old 12-28-2013, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dealer says the filters come in a case and have no covers on them, I seam to think it may be a dust cap from when the engine was originally manufactured before the first filter was ever installed. The truck has a different sound now, but still runs OK for now. The dealer has said they will monitor the truck, but for now I have an almost new truck that smells of burnt oil and degreaser. They wont even refund the money I paid to the tow truck driver because I paid cash and didn't get a receipt. He does get reimbursed by Roadside assistance, but the tow truck driver was such a great guy I had to give him something extra. I will be following up with a lawyer to see what my path forward should be.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is why I do all my own work! Most of these mechanics are pretty stupid!
Old 01-05-2014, 08:30 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Andygod
The dealer says the filters come in a case and have no covers on them, I seam to think it may be a dust cap from when the engine was originally manufactured before the first filter was ever installed. The truck has a different sound now, but still runs OK for now. The dealer has said they will monitor the truck, but for now I have an almost new truck that smells of burnt oil and degreaser. They wont even refund the money I paid to the tow truck driver because I paid cash and didn't get a receipt. He does get reimbursed by Roadside assistance, but the tow truck driver was such a great guy I had to give him something extra. I will be following up with a lawyer to see what my path forward should be.
Ugh...... no

If that was on the oil filter housing from the start, the oil pressure light would have been on as soon as they started that engine on the assembly line..

I dont understand some dealers...... they give all us "good" guys in the industry a bad name....

Tech made a mistake.... it happens, be honest and make it right...... it's not a difficult concept.....

Quick Reply: Oil Filter Foreign Material