Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

oil disapearing 5.4

Old 01-21-2015, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil disapearing 5.4

2004 ford 150
5.4 liter
112k miles
I have 2-3 quarts vanish between oil changes
no smoke
no leaks
coolant clean
any ideas?
Old 01-21-2015, 09:17 PM

Received 105 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeepin770
2004 ford 150 5.4 liter 112k miles I have 2-3 quarts vanish between oil changes no smoke no leaks coolant clean any ideas?
Did you change oil brands recently? Like from Quaker state to castrol?
Old 01-21-2015, 10:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have an oil that has an extremely high NOACK rating, that would explain it. Granted, usually on most vehicles it is 1 quart per 5quarts of capacity in a 5k mileage avg. Depending on the oil, your climate, and driving style, this could very well equat to closer to 2+ quarts. Hot climate, high NOACK on the oil, spirited driving or lots of high loads on the engine would make for a bad combo.

Try pulling an oil sample and send off for a UOA to see if there's something going on there. If it is showing pretty thick for it's grade and wear metals are good, then it's from evaporation in a high stress and heat environment.

Typically a high NOACK means crappy base stocks. Whatever oil you use should have this number in their spec cut sheets. Be sure to math the spec sheet to the variant of bottle you have ( some older SM bottled oils vs the newer SN of the same exact oil could have different specs for example )

Usually high evaporation will show other issues after a lot of miles of this. A lower NOACK oil will help lower the amount of oil vapor leaving through your pcv.

Quote:
NOACK Volatility Test (ASTM d5800)
The NOACK Volatility Test determines the evaporation loss of lubricants in high-temperature service. According to the ASTM, “Evaporation may contribute to oil consumption in an engine and can lead to a change in the properties of an oil.”1 As with the TEOST test, low values in the NOACK Volatility Test are of particular benefit in modern, hot-running engines. In the NOACK test, a candidate oil is exposed to heat and circulating air. Following 60 minutes, the remaining oil volume is weighed and compared to the original weight, with the difference reported as the percentage of weight lost. Results must be limited to 15 percent or less to meet the API SN and ILSAC GF-5 specifications.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:19 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yah, I have a 2004 Lariat, 103K, same deal. I have tried Quaker State full synth, Valvoline full synth, Valvoline max life, same no matter what. Gotta be burning off somewhere I figure. I run it hard sometimes though, and don't always let it warm up before taking off in the morning. #timemanagementsucks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: oil disapearing 5.4