Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Oil in air intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil in air intake

I have a 97 F150 w/ 5.4. I noticed my oil was low, and I was doing an oil change today. In doing so I found that the air intake had oil spill back in it. Looking at the vac hoses, I saw there was oil passing through it (indicated with red line below).
The blue circles below are a couple clamps I put on because the hose was loose (as I will be looking at this further later and replacing the hose). The front one I was not too concerned with the amount of play it had, but the back one was actually so loose it came off when I bumped it (surprised it was running as good as it was actually!).
I am obviously a little concerned about, and thought I would run it past you all to see if there is something I should look at first. May as well try to limit my trips to the parts store right.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's aprt of the Pos Crankcase Ventilation system. It will have oil in it (from Blowby gasses)

You could try cleaning or replacing your PCV valve, but usually this happens because the rings are getting loose. Not much you can do about it.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:33 AM

thanks. I figured it was blowby...I'll pickup a new PCV this weekend, see if it helps. Sure hope so, because it is unlikely I will do rings on this thing.

I will also put some Engine Restore in it...I used it once when I bought an unreserved car for 50 bucks...just bought it for fun...nobody wanted it because it ran horrible. A cheap home tuneup and it was a fun for...eventually sold it for a nice profit.

If you haven't seen the stuff, here it is:
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by willywonka; 02-12-2013 at 02:50 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:54 AM
Heat Miser

Received 144 Likes on 115 Posts

Have you checked your EGR valve to make sure it isn't stuck open?
Your vehicle will generally run worse if it is, but in any event a certain amount of oil DOES get into your intake thanx to this EvIL, uh, I mean 'ingenious' device.
Over the span of 15 years or so, a LOT of oil will have made its way through your intake tract, and if it's never been cleaned before, or seldom cleaned, you would see a disaster in there.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by yokev
Have you checked your EGR valve to make sure it isn't stuck open?
Your vehicle will generally run worse if it is, but in any event a certain amount of oil DOES get into your intake thanx to this EvIL, uh, I mean 'ingenious' device.
Over the span of 15 years or so, a LOT of oil will have made its way through your intake tract, and if it's never been cleaned before, or seldom cleaned, you would see a disaster in there.
Wow...I hadn't even thought of a dif pressure issue...solid point! I will definately have to play with that and the DPFE and see if all looks ok. Thanks!

I know there will always be some level of oil coming back, but this is an irregular amount. I am losing a quart(ish) within 1000 miles. I also pulled a couple plugs and they were fouled with oil, and I just did my plugs under 20k miles ago.

Also, i guess I should have pointed out that I did a dry compression test on 2 of the we cylinders and they seemed fine, Shot up fast. Not always a tell-all, but it is a positive sign.

Last edited by willywonka; 02-12-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:55 PM
Heat Miser

Received 144 Likes on 115 Posts

I personally don't like compression tests because of how easily they can give bogus results, both ways.
How about a leak-down? If your truck has a lot of miles and you do your own maintenance and repair(s) on it, it'd be worth it to buy a kit.

Quick Reply: Oil in air intake