Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Not again! 2015 5.0 F150 Platinum Cam Phaser Issue

Old 02-04-2016, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not again! 2015 5.0 F150 Platinum Cam Phaser Issue

After having a 2006 5.4L F150 Lariat for almost 10 years, the truck while driving on the interstate shuttered and sounded like a diesel truck. At the time it had about 91,500 miles on it. After taking it to the dealer they diagnosed it as the cam phaser suggesting a $3,300 replacement or highly recommending a new remanufactured engine for about $10k. I'm a big Ford fan and have owned 5 Fords without any major issues. Instead of replacing the phaser which was a known issue with the 5.4L engines, I upgraded in November 2015 to a brand new fully loaded 2015 5.0L (coyote) F150 Platinum with about 350 miles on it. In December 2015 at 2,300 miles the truck experienced a rough idle when stopped at a red light. I ran a vehicle health report that informed me the truck had misfires and to service it immediately. Truck was dropped off at the Ford dealer and two days later they replaced the Variable Cam (VCT) solenoid. The experience was troubling as the truck is brand new but I reasoned that parts can go bad and maybe it was a fluke. Fast forward to 1 Feb when I experienced another rough idle when I did a remote start. I dropped the truck back off at the dealer the next day and after a day of troubleshooting, Ford talking with their hotline, they said the #5 and 6 cylinder were misfiring (which I knew the engine misfired due to a vehicle health report I ran the day before). They suspected a variable cam shaft correlation but the problem was intermittent only giving them a few codes that wasn't specific enough to point them in the right direction for a fix. The foreman suggested they put some additional miles on the truck by driving it with the IDS hooked up to the onboard computer after resetting the check engine light. Today on 3 Feb they called me and said the check engine light came back on and that the issue presented itself again. It was with the cam phaser that caused the solenoid to fail in Dec 2015. The phaser was causing the cylinder to stick open/not communicate but they said it was only at idle. The cam part is backordered until 23 Feb 2016.

I'm extremely disappointed that his has happened with a brand new truck that has been driven very lightly without any trailer loads and only had 3,300 miles. This was the same issue (phasers) that I had with a different engine (5.4 vs. 5.0) when I upgraded to the 2015. I've searched online and haven't see anything bad about the 5.0L or it having cam phaser issues. So, heres to 3 weeks of waiting for them to get the part, open up the valve cover and get it fixed. I'm feeling less confident that this maybe a one time thing and hope it doesn't happen again. I'm glad its covered under warranty...just can't believe this is happening.

Has anyone else had an issue with their 2015 or 5.0L coyote engines regarding the cam phaser? From what I've seen this engine has been around since 2011 so, I would've thought they had resolved any issues with this model year. I've always taken very good care of my vehicles and always perform the maintenance to the manual. My wife's 2011 Ford Explorer has 75k miles on it and runs like a top.

If no one else has experienced or heard of this issue then at least it'll give someone else some history to start with if their screw experiences the same problem. Thanks for any insight, suggestions or feedback you might provide.

Last edited by semperfarr; 02-04-2016 at 08:22 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:45 PM
LightningRod

Received 640 Likes on 513 Posts

I am sorry that you are having the problem. And I don't have any experience that can help you. But if any mechanic told me...;

Originally Posted by semperfarr
... ... ... It was with the cam phaser that caused the solenoid to fail in Dec 2015.
I would find me a new mechanic so fast the vortex from my departure would look like the RoadRunner (beep-beep) leaving. I presume this is the same one that tried to sell you a 10K engine the last time.

I don't propose to know what the problems is. But I can tell you with confidence the cam phasers will not cause the solenoids to fail.
The following users liked this post:
dakotadave (10-01-2020)
Old 02-05-2016, 09:26 PM

Well the Ford mechanic is the closest one to my house...I've heard good things about them and the service advisor has been excellent. Maybe it was the cam phaser the whole time but they thought it was the solenoid, reset the ECL and let me go on my way until this recent event...I've learned a lot about the VCT while doing some research online and have a better understanding of what they do. So, I called them back today and requested to talk with the service foreman on questions I had about the repair. I was informed that they’re replacing both the exhaust and intake phasers b/c they don’t know which one is causing the issue. He said this phaser type has been around and used in other engines so they suspect the one I have a fluke. He owns a 2011 F150 with the same 5.0 engine with about 60k miles and he hasn't had any issues. I talked with a good friend of mine that has a 2014 with a 5.0 and no issues either. They did multiple tests and said the oil pressure and compression was good. It's not a spark plug issue as the entire left bank is misfiring (cylinders # 5,6, 7, & 8). Only codes were showing for # 5 & 6. They said the repair service will take 1-2 days as the job is about (6-8 hours) and it depends on when during the day they start once they get the parts. The replace the entire phaser and have to send it back for Ford QC/diagnosis since the truck has low miles on it so they can determine if it's an engineering issue. The foreman said my issue is strictly mechanical.

I asked to see the part once it comes out but was informed that they can’t take it apart due to rules by Ford. They did unplug the solenoid and (something I don't remember but might be the camshaft) should go to zero but the cam and crank sensors were still advanced telling them it was the cam phaser. I was told that once it’s fixed, it won’t happen again. We discussed the item being backordered; was told it isn’t b/c there is a problem Nation-wide but it could be a vendor/supply issue but it's hard to tell because Ford doesn't tell them all the logistic issues. There are times Ford has other items on backorder for a while – it just all depends. They’re confident it’s the phaser and there isn’t a PCM software upgrade (from a TSB) or that a misfire neutral profile reset would fix the problem.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:37 PM
LightningRod

I think yours is going to be a fluke. From what I've read, and heard, the 5.0 is strong and getting good reviews.

I think you are right that they second guessed the problem and condemned the solenoid without a thorough enough diagnostics. By second guessed, I mean they took about a 'second' to guess.
... Maybe it was the cam phaser the whole time but they thought it was the solenoid, reset the ECL and let me go on my way ...

Looks like you're right about that, then they just gave one of those Simple Sam explanations. Swapping it with the other side might have been a worthwhile low cost test. But the cam positioning relative to crank position can be accurately read with their integrated diagnostic system. Unplugging the solenoid should send the cam 'promptly' to its neutral position. If one stays stuck in an incorrect advance/retard position, I would think the phaser is binding or sticking. Glad they are replacing them all, although it seems like they should be able to tell which one is the problem. Perhaps they figure while they are in there, your satisfaction is worth the extra parts cost.

A 'certified mechanic' at a dealership doing snap diagnostics makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Recently my wife's car (Buick Enclave) had misfires on 1,3,5 , catalytic converter efficiency low bank1 (DTC P0420). Exhaust was black, fuel trims were out of whack 'low' on bank1. (With LOW trims, why black exhaust???) I checked spark plugs and 1, 5 were chalky white lean and almost melted. No #3 was jet black, 'carboned-up', almost fouled. I took it to the dealership and told them it was #3 injector leaking / sticking open. They changed the catalytic converter (on warranty fortunately) and proudly announced it was ready. They never checked fuel trims or did any other diagnosis - including explaining the black smoke still coming out of the tail pipe. I went volcanic with the service writer and they let me observe further diagnostics - where they found and replaced the bad injector #3.

I think your staying on them is paying off for you in a same way. Good luck
Old 02-06-2016, 08:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2013 5.0 engine has 25,000+ miles, a little rough idle at last oil change. The tech caught it and updated the computer software - it runs like a top. I tow 25% of the time, the rest mix of highway and city. Decided recently to spend $1600 on a Ford extended service plan to carry me to 8 years, 100,000 miles, just in case I run into Issues. I have seen very few complaints about this engine across several forums - hope you get satisfaction with the repair.
Old 02-24-2016, 05:20 PM

UPDATE: Yesterday I called and left a voicemail with the service advisor since the part was supposed to be in. I was really hoping they were able to start on the repair. Unfortunately, today they called me back and informed me there is was an update to the case but the part is not going to be here until 18 Mar! She mentioned there is potential for it to arrive sooner but I've heard that before. She said that I’m first out of 10 on the waiting list and they've requested it to be expedited. A system note states the “demand exceeds forecast” but no other details were provided. The service manager is who I was talking with and was provided Ford's Customer Service # 800-392-3673 and my case #. The service manager said I could call and start a claim to ask for a truck replacement/exchange/refund but the process could take 60-90 days. She suggested that the dealer might be able to get me a payment for a months car note. At this point by the time the part arrives I will have paid two monthly truck payments.

I told her I’d get back to her after speaking with the VA attorney general’s office (Consumer Protection). I spoke to Doris at the Consumer Protection office who provided me basic information about the VA Motor Vehicle Warranty Enforcement Act (a.k.a. Lemon Law) and provided me with the process to follow of sending a letter to Ford with invoices/service receipts and they have 15 days to respond. If theres no response from Ford then I can file a compliant with her office, contact the BBB at 800-955-5100 and then retain an attorney. Now trying to decide what to do...

To make matters worse if this doesn't get resolved, I'm moving this summer to another state due to military orders. I wonder if I accept a months truck note payment if it reduces the liability for Ford b/c they're "assisting" me. Does anyone have any advice? I'm optimistic that the part will come and fix the truck but then again, if it shows up on the 18 Mar like they say it will, it'll have been 45 days since the truck was dropped off. I wonder what that does to the truck and fuel if it's not driven for that long...I wonder if I'll have other problems once the cam phasers are fixed.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:18 AM

Hiring an attorney will only slow,things down. I would be patient and wait a bit longer and get your truck repaired.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:09 PM
LightningRod

@semperfarr - I would like to thank you for your service to our country and extend my best wishes for a speedy, least painless resolution on your truck. I know it won't even buy a cup of coffee - but I hope it helps to know somebody really cares. - Good Luck
The following users liked this post:
semperfarr (03-02-2016)
Old 03-02-2016, 08:48 PM

On Monday (2/29), I was called that the part was received and they'd start the repairs. Today (3/2), I got the call today that she was ready to be picked up. They replaced the intake and exhaust cam phaser sprockets on bank 2. Per the WSM (?), they also filled cooling system and changed the oil/filter. Road tested complete. Fingers crossed this'll be it and I can put some mileage on the truck. Ford offered to provide me a months truck payment which I may consider but I'm still talking with a lawyer tomorrow to see if I have other options. Thanks for the support and hope no one else has to wait that long for repairs. Hopefully Ford increases their parts inventory. When my 2006 F-150 cam phasers went, they could get the part overnight. Finally back on the road. Cheers!
Old 03-03-2016, 08:28 AM

Good news. Let us know how the repair holds up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Not again! 2015 5.0 F150 Platinum Cam Phaser Issue