Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Noise when turning

Old 08-13-2014, 11:17 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Post Noise when turning

I have a '05 SCrew that makes a knocking sound when I turn. It sounds like it's coming from the rear, but I have had the rear shocks replaced. I was hoping someone had an idea as to what was causing this. I tried to post this a few months ago but it never showed. Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Old 08-14-2014, 08:57 AM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

If you have a limited slip rear end it may need special clutch oil modifier added to the differential gear oil. In a turn, the axle clutches need to slip. I would service the rear end completely. Also check the rear U-Joint and the internal emergency brake shoes for hanging up. Good luck
Old 08-20-2014, 12:47 AM

I don't think it's the u joint. I'd have a vibration when I'm going down the road. This is more of a knocking sound when the body flexes or rolls going over a bump like a curb or dip in the road while I turn.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:24 AM

Figured it out. It's my axles shifting in the housing. When the truck rocks when going over a bump it shifts and you can hear it hit the center caps of the wheels. Guy I talked to said that as long as it's not leaking around the seal at the wheels I'm in good shape, but I'm still going to keep a close eye on that thing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Noise when turning