Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

No power when I press the gas pedal.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No power when I press the gas pedal.

Hey guys,

So I have a 2005 F-150 XLT 5.4L. It has been having a hard time going into 4th gear for about a week and I haven't taken it to get checked out due to my work schedule. It would stutter until I applied more throttle and then it would change gear. Today when I was at a full stop as I pressed the gas pedal the RPMs went up and it took a second to start moving with a slight stutter. Then about a mile down the road my O/D light starting flashing on and off and I lost all acceleration past idol. The engine would rev up but not gain any speed. About another half mile down the road heading to my house a wrench symbol appeared. I checked the transmission fluid as a buddy of mine had a similar issue on a different vehicle but the level and color is good. I listened to the Thottle body assembly when I cycled the engine to see if it was cycling correctly on start up and that sounded fine as well. I plan on checking the codes tomorrow to see what turns up and will add them to this post. I just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas, see if this was something I could fix myself or if I have to take it into a mechanic and wanted to Have an idea on the issue so I can research prices.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:23 PM

So a quick update. Today when I started the truck the error didn't show up so I drove it around the block and it started up again. It wouldn't shift out of first gear and the error message "Trans Fault" came up. I am taking it to the dealer in two days. Any ideas on what it could be before then please let me know. Thanks.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:22 PM
F-150 Fanatic

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

Sounds like your tranny is shot. Be prepared for a full rebuild or replacement.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by blairian
Sounds like your tranny is shot. Be prepared for a full rebuild or replacement.
Yeah that's what I was afraid of. Thanks.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:49 AM
F-150 Fanatic

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

Hopefully you'll get lucky and only need a sensor or something, but I highly doubt it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No power when I press the gas pedal.