Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

No power. battery charged

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No power. battery charged

97 f150 4.6 v8 was away for summer. started it once fine. weeks later started it with help of jumper cables. I got it started then it died on its own. tried to start it again had to rejump it. then it would crank but wouldnt start. 15 minutes later finally got her to start and let it run good and long. came back 3 weeks later to find my truck powerless. I can turn the key into any position and there is no power anywhere no windows, lights or anything.

battery has voltage.
theres voltage to the starter relay.
voltage before and after both primary battery fuses.
im confident the grounds are fine, the 1 was.
I switched the relays around.
I replaced the ignition switch and still no power.
Inertia switch wasnt tripped.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:55 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

What does the Batt read ?? Have your tried a new Batt...could have dead cells...once the truck is started it don't use the Batt, so If your Alt is bad your truck won't run...a Bad Alt will drain your Batt. Double check all your cables and grounds.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:14 AM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Default Dead batt

Originally Posted by brikhouse
97 f150 4.6 v8 was away for summer. started it once fine. weeks later started it with help of jumper cables. I got it started then it died on its own. tried to start it again had to rejump it. then it would crank but wouldnt start. 15 minutes later finally got her to start and let it run good and long. came back 3 weeks later to find my truck powerless. I can turn the key into any position and there is no power anywhere no windows, lights or anything.

battery has voltage.
theres voltage to the starter relay.
voltage before and after both primary battery fuses.
im confident the grounds are fine, the 1 was.
I switched the relays around.
I replaced the ignition switch and still no power.
Inertia switch wasnt tripped.
I strongly suspect your battery is dead.or your cables are corroded you could still get a no load voltage reading but not enough current to trip a starter relay or even lights pull the battery out and have it tested.When a vehicle sits for extended time there is enough drain on the battery[clock computer radio memery etc.] to run it down. if you are going to park it for more than a couple of weeks disconect the neg. cable.Bubbabud 2011 XLT SC Ecoboost
Old 10-29-2011, 07:47 AM

my battery reads 13 volts, a ground near the starter was loose the other day and I cleaned it up and moved it and still nothing. the battery has been reading a solid 13 since the truck died. when i jump the solenoid it turns over but no start also. theres a clicking noise by the fuse box in the cab, and once in awhile when i put the key in it will ding once.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:49 AM

i forgot to mention. i hooked up my car battery to the truck and still nothing. i drive the car daily during the summer and am driving it now so i know its not the battery. ive cleaned up the probes and cables of corrosion already and that didnt change anything either
Old 10-29-2011, 08:30 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

relay ??? engine/Ignition
Old 10-30-2011, 07:36 AM

the relays were one of the first things i checked. not it. i already changed the ignition switch
Old 11-13-2011, 09:35 PM

Received 140 Likes on 99 Posts

When the ign key is in the start position do you have power down at the solenoid? If yes replace starter. Are the battery terminals clean - between post and cables? When you turn on the headlights do they light brightly or dimly? What is batt voltage with headlights turned on?

Last edited by Phyer Phyter; 11-13-2011 at 09:37 PM.

Quick Reply: No power. battery charged