Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

No Brake Lights on Truck or Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Brake Lights on Truck or Trailer

I'm new to this forum but have visited often to find solutions to problems my truck has had in the past. However, I haven't been able to find a thread that is similar to the truck's current problem. I have a 2004 F150 with a 4.6 which has been a great truck. I noticed last night after plugging in my boat trailer lights that I did not have brake lights. No brake lights on the truck or the trailer. The regular tail lights as well as the turn signals work properly, but no brake lights. I always unplug my 4 way adapter prior to unloading/loading the boat. I've replaced the fuses which didn't fix. I replaced fuse numbers 2, 36 and 42 as from what I found in my owners manual all have something to do with brake/trailer lights.
Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated. It must be related...no truck brake lights and no trailer brake lights. Scary thing is...who knows how long I've been driving without brake lights.
Old 06-18-2016, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jtpaternity
I'm new to this forum but have visited often to find solutions to problems my truck has had in the past. However, I haven't been able to find a thread that is similar to the truck's current problem. I have a 2004 F150 with a 4.6 which has been a great truck. I noticed last night after plugging in my boat trailer lights that I did not have brake lights. No brake lights on the truck or the trailer. The regular tail lights as well as the turn signals work properly, but no brake lights. I always unplug my 4 way adapter prior to unloading/loading the boat. I've replaced the fuses which didn't fix. I replaced fuse numbers 2, 36 and 42 as from what I found in my owners manual all have something to do with brake/trailer lights.
Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated. It must be related...no truck brake lights and no trailer brake lights. Scary thing is...who knows how long I've been driving without brake lights.
Problem solved. Figured out it was the stoplight switch. Replaced the switch and all is well now.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Aloha

Just to let you know the brake lights wiring is run through the turn signal switch (Combination) and I moved my steering wheel down when I first bought my truck and the turn signals, brake lights, emergency flashers would not work so when I put the steering wheel back to the original setting, everything worked again. Just some info for you as it is a common problem with the F150. It looses the connection for some reason.

Quick Reply: No Brake Lights on Truck or Trailer