Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

No 4x4?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No 4x4?

So I gotta 07 5.4 f150 and I backed a little too far into a ditch the other day. I put in 4 high and 4 low and the dash lights indicated I was in those modes also. I had no luck getting out so I called a buddy to pull me out. Long story short: when I was pulled out, it wasn't a struggle to get me out at all and there were no tire marks from my front wheels. Just my back ones were spinning.

I just bought this from a dealer about 3-4 months ago and I need my 4wd, any way to diagnose this? Bad sensor?
Old 10-06-2015, 09:04 AM
Mark

Received 2,412 Likes on 2,113 Posts

If you want to throw parts at it...I would start with an IWE solenoid located on the firewall behind the battery... If you would like to troubleshoot...barrow a vacuum pump from your local parts store and fellow the procedures post on this site...
Old 10-06-2015, 02:12 PM

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

What tech is saying is that your front hubs are not likely engaged. The IWE (if you're not familiar) is the integrate wheel end system - the vacuum and solenoid that engages and disengages your front hubs.

It's likely that your transfer case was engaged (as confirmed by the dash lights) but if the front hubs were NOT engaged, it would do nothing.

If you have any kind of a warranty from the dealer and it's not expired, I'd hit them up first. Hell, even if you don't I'd hit them up on a "good faith" call since you've not used the 4wd since you bought it and you didn't know it wasn't working.

If you're handy and wrench your own vehicles, tech's advice is solid (as usual.)

Quick Reply: No 4x4?