Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Newbie with a question

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 11:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie with a question

I have a 2011 f150, 41,000 miles. I bought it certified used.
I have been getting low oil pressure message and the oil gauge goes to low, only at idle,5-600 rpm. This has happened maybe 5 times. I have taken it back to the dealer twice so far and they have only gotten it to happen one time and replaced a sensor. I picked the truck up and it happened the next morning. Took the truck back and the had the truck for a week and could not get it to fault. Had the truck back four days and it happened again.
Any ideas? Getting frustrated and the wife is getting pissed.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:03 PM
LightningRod

Received 643 Likes on 514 Posts

Post Need an actual Oil Pressure Gauge

Your Wife's right - I'd be pissed too.

[MENTION=175636]08silverbullet[/MENTION] is correct in this post:
https://www.f150forum.com/f4/pid-eng...5/#post4105915

That CHEAP cluster panel gauge is a complete fraud giving you an analogue reading of just above mid-point, even though it is connected to nothing but an stupidass OPEN/CLOSED switch.

Like silverbullet, I've now installed an aftermarket oil pressure gauge to remove any doubt. My 203,000 mile 5.4L will idle at 60 to 70 lbs "STONE COLD" and about 16 - 19 lbs at idle "HOT", in gear, A/C on, running 5W-20W fully synthetic.

I'd say - if yours gets below 7 lbs with only 41,000 miles (after replacing the sensor), there is a problem and it would be worth installing a real gauge to provet to the dealer who sold you the "certified" vehicle. Make them FIX it before it leads to more serious problems - WHICH IT WILL DO.

Good luck
Attached Thumbnails Newbie with a question-imag0678.jpg  
Old 05-20-2015, 03:53 PM

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

I'm with torqued all the way. Most "gauges" are idiot lights with needles. The fact that the dealer replaced the "sensor" and it has happened again leads me to believe you do indeed have an oil pressure problem. The dealer should be able to check the actual pressure.

I'd be hesitant to install a gauge yourself if you have any warranty or coverage through the dealer. They could try to pull the "you altered the vehicle and voided your coverage" card.

But by all means, get it addressed.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:54 PM
LightningRod

Received 643 Likes on 514 Posts

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by chickenwire
I'd be hesitant to install a gauge yourself if you have any warranty or coverage through the dealer. They could try to pull the "you altered the vehicle and voided your coverage" card.

Very good point. It would probably be worth buying one and carrying it down there and offer to PAY them to install it !

Quick Reply: Newbie with a question