Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Newbie 5.4L help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie 5.4L help!

First I'd like to say Hi! This is my offical first post! I'll be around for awhile as I love this truck and it's nice to have found a forum that supports it.

I've got a 2008 Ford F150 XLT with the 5.4L engine. 86k miles. No other history of issues. It starts up fine, drives great.

Lately, when I drive the car for more than 30 min or on the highway (I'm assuming this gets the engine to operating temps), it will make a strange metal-on-metal noise at idle. Almost sounds like a chain or gears. Putting foot on the pedal makes this louder (hear-it-over-the-radio loud). The rpm gauge doesn't noticeably move. Noise only starts when the truck is stopped.

If I shut the car off and turn it on again the noise goes away temporarily. Or sometimes I can just let the truck idle for a min and the noise goes away. Truck isn't throwing any codes at all, no lights come on the console at any time.

I read up on some of the other threads today and I'm not really sure if those are my issues. Not much of a gearhead anymore.

I'm a little freaked out after reading all the threads here and on other forums about this engine, not gonna lie

*added 11/29- also the door sticker says the truck was built June of '08, so at least I don't have to deal with the dreaded spark plug issue

Last edited by Hellkite02; 11-29-2014 at 10:25 AM. Reason: more info
Old 11-29-2014, 08:08 PM

Ok here's a youtube link to a vid I took tonight of what it's doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXV3...ature=youtu.be
Old 11-29-2014, 10:43 PM

Received 315 Likes on 239 Posts

Search "cam phasers" on this site. Prepare for a few days of reading.
The following users liked this post:
Hellkite02 (12-08-2014)
Old 11-30-2014, 10:54 AM

Did alot of reading this morning and this sounds like my issue, but does the cam phasers going out cause the stalling? Many people with the phaser issue were reporting the noise, not the hesitation and stalling that I'm getting.

This is my daily driver so I don't want to open it up until I have the parts readily available to fix it, do I just install that lockout kit on the old phasers or do I need to buy new ones?
Old 12-02-2014, 05:20 PM

Ok I ordered the lockout kit and plan to install it this weekend. Not driving the truck until I get them in.

Another question... Could this noise also possibly be the thrust bearings wearing/worn out?
Old 12-08-2014, 08:01 AM

Alrighty I spent 11 hours fiddling with the motor but managed to get the lockout kit in. The engineers were definitely not thinking about ease of maintenance when they wedged this big 5.4 in the truck. Didn't have to remove the AC lines or drain any fluid either. Hooked the tuner up and it did it's thing (that was the easy part). Drove the truck to work and it's the quietest I've ever heard it. No diesel noise, no hesitation or stalling, no broken truck sounds at all. Only thing I can hear is the pistons moving like in every other car and the injectors clicking. The inside of the motor was a lot cleaner than I expected, not an ounce of sludge to be found. one of the phasers was full of oil, the other was dry on the inside, which was probably the one making all the commotion. Gonna see how it drives on the way home, i'll take the longer way to get it warmed up more but I'm thinking I fixed it!
Old 12-08-2014, 08:12 AM

Received 315 Likes on 239 Posts

Excellent. Sounds like you got it fixed.

Quick Reply: Newbie 5.4L help!