Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

New engine for '05 Expedition

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New engine for '05 Expedition

We have an '05 Expedition XLT. It's 4x4 and it has the triton 5.4 V8 but due to gas economy and the increasing mileage (over 176,000 miles now) we're looking to replace the 5.4 with something like the more current 5.0 V8 or the 3.5 ecoboost.

The main question is, would the engine be able to be taken and and replaced without any major modifications or would the transmission and all have to be replaced as well. And would it be more logical to just try and find a new truck?

if it would be able to easily be replaced, the ecoboost would be ideal but due to it only being a 6 cylinder I', not sure that it would be as compatible as the 5.0 8 cylinder since it is an 8 that is being taken out.

*EDIT*
I think this should be moved to the engines section. I didn't notice it when I posted this

Last edited by F15DY_BOY; 10-18-2013 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:47 PM

Received 90 Likes on 80 Posts

Logic says buy a different truck. If you need the room of an suv, you could look into getting one of the new explorers, they come with an ecoboost.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:23 PM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

The newer motor might to bolt up to the trans but the amount of work after that would be enormous. All of the engine wiring harness would be wrong, the computer would have to be updated to match the motor, the fan shroud ,radiator, fuel lines and possibly the motor mounts would not match. I would sell what you have and get something newer. Look at Hybrids if you want the best gas mpg. My wife's 08 Camry Hybrid gets 38 to 45 mpg. I know Ford offers several vehicles in this class. Good luck

Quick Reply: New engine for '05 Expedition