Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Need quick help, jacked up truck now wont start

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need quick help, jacked up truck now wont start

Ashame this has to be my first post but im still covered in grease. truck is half way in and out of garage.

Every detail.

I decided to replace my upper arm/joints. Started with the pass side and jacked it up a bit, started the truck as i knew turning the tire would help a bit, and i moved it very slightly and figured the jack would move to much so i didnt bother.

Turned off the truck and replaced the arm / ball joint (abs was never disconnected) (this was the pass side i had jacked up) . Lowered the truck on that side and prepared for the other, figured id turn it while its still on the ground to make things easier (not like its a tough job to begin with) . Starter is going but the truck will not start. theft is flashing fast, odometer reads - - - - - - - - - (honestly cant remember if this is common, never bothered looking 145 later since the light on the odo is out sometimes.) I did jack a fair amount under the coil with a jack when i was putting the join back on)

1999 4.6 2wd lariat.

I rechecked abs connection, its fine, took the battery connection off to reset , still nothing. it cranks but its like its not getting fuel/spark. Any ideas? anything stupid im not thinking of?

Updating as I go , there is no spark. Truck was not let down hard or anything like that.

Seems -------- is a PATS issue? I am going to keep the battery unplugged for 30, no idea where the diode is for it or how i actually reset. I have one original key, one new key. Im not sure why this system would go off at all . Or if its even the problem.

Last edited by Anaxagoras; 03-02-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Anaxagoras
Ashame this has to be my first post but im still covered in grease. truck is half way in and out of garage.

Every detail.

I decided to replace my upper arm/joints. Started with the pass side and jacked it up a bit, started the truck as i knew turning the tire would help a bit, and i moved it very slightly and figured the jack would move to much so i didnt bother.

Turned off the truck and replaced the arm / ball joint (abs was never disconnected) (this was the pass side i had jacked up) . Lowered the truck on that side and prepared for the other, figured id turn it while its still on the ground to make things easier (not like its a tough job to begin with) . Starter is going but the truck will not start. theft is flashing fast, odometer reads - - - - - - - - - (honestly cant remember if this is common, never bothered looking 145 later since the light on the odo is out sometimes.) I did jack a fair amount under the coil with a jack when i was putting the join back on)

1999 4.6 2wd lariat.

I rechecked abs connection, its fine, took the battery connection off to reset , still nothing. it cranks but its like its not getting fuel/spark. Any ideas? anything stupid im not thinking of?

Updating as I go , there is no spark. Truck was not let down hard or anything like that.

Seems -------- is a PATS issue? I am going to keep the battery unplugged for 30, no idea where the diode is for it or how i actually reset. I have one original key, one new key. Im not sure why this system would go off at all . Or if its even the problem.

No go, called a dealership , 2 of them, said no idea what could of caused it.. seems it might be a pcm or pats issue? help i love you.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:27 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Did you try the other key after waiting at least 5 mins?
Old 03-02-2013, 04:32 PM

No that would be the "newer" key. Going to go try that now. Pretty sure its a PATS issue and not an ecm. Father was in the truck he likes to slam the steering column up sometimes. Ignition key switch feels hard to turn kind of.

"boy what a beautiful cool day with a breeze, i should knock this out and my calipers"

(been having odd clanky issues etc)..

Ganna try it

Nope :/ What a pain in the *** , is there a way i can temp bypass it with my other key (puts out a signal right?)

Last edited by Anaxagoras; 03-02-2013 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:48 PM

No way I know of to bypass it. Take the plastic shroud around the steering column off and check the wire coming from the pats transceiver that wraps around the ignition key tumbler. It could be broken inside the wires insulation, tug on it a little and see if it stretches, it should be solid. Follow the wire down the column into the dash for breaks.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
No way I know of to bypass it. Take the plastic shroud around the steering column off and check the wire coming from the pats transceiver that wraps around the ignition key tumbler. It could be broken inside the wires insulation, tug on it a little and see if it stretches, it should be solid. Follow the wire down the column into the dash for breaks.
Thanks a bunch, I will try this in the morning, steering wheel does not need removed to check this correct?
Old 03-03-2013, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by Anaxagoras
Thanks a bunch, I will try this in the morning, steering wheel does not need removed to check this correct?
Correct, just take off the shroud and you will see what I'm talking about.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
Correct, just take off the shroud and you will see what I'm talking about.
I couldnt see anything wrong, waiting on a tow now. I still cant see how this is just a coincidence though.

I get to train hop in the morning to get to work, this should be fun. :/ Thanks for your help. I will post back with what the issue was (i hope they dont make me replace the pcm and a bunch of other crap)
Old 03-03-2013, 02:05 PM

anyone work for a dealer and aside from install know how much they charge for a PCM they are 199 it seems from the people who manufacture them now.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:17 PM

Could be as simple as bad keys. I've had that happen quite a few times when I worked at the dealer. It is just coincidence that it happened while you worked on it. 2-400 is going price on pcm but that may not be what's wrong, you have several modules and they all communicate with each other and if one goes batty the whole system shuts down.

Quick Reply: Need quick help, jacked up truck now wont start