Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Need help troubleshooting.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help troubleshooting.

Hey guys.

Im new here to this forum and want to first say thanks to all here. This is a great forum for information. Ok now to give some background on my truck. I recently bought a 1984 F150 4X4 up in Lagrange GA. I bought the truck "AS IS" and was not afraid of this cause I have always wanted to work on a Older Truck. Anyways I left lagrange and stopped for gas and cut off the engine and it wouldnt restart. Turns out battery was dead. So I replaced the battery and drove it 40 miles home and it wouldn't restart after getting home. Dead battery again. Ok this told me that the Alternator was not charging so I replaced it. Still wouldnt charge so I replaced the Voltage Regulator and the starter solenoid. Still wouldn't charge and figured out it was the wiring harness from the alternator to the VR. Turns out the fuseable Link wire was bad. So replaced that. NOW SHES CHARGING FINE!!!

Ok Now on to my NEW problem. I decided to replace the Distributor cap,Rotar Button,Plugs and Wires. When I started doing this I noticed the plugs where real black with dry carbon. I also noticed that the plugs on the distributor cap were all one to the left from where they should be. Was still the correct Firing order but it started one to he left of the one position for some reason. I decided to talk to a buddy of mine about this and he explained that some Old School car delearships would do that to advance the timing or something to that effect? Meaning that my timing chain was probably bad. I did try putting them back to their original place as they are suppose to be and the truck will not start. It Turns over then stops and then turns so more and stops. (Like a dead cylinder)

So i put it back to the way it was (one to the left) and it starts. But heres my Problem. It back fires now REAL BAD and has no power. Could barely get to 55 on the highway. I also noticed a hole in my exhaust and it also is blowing out real black dry carbon. There is also a little bit (Not alot) of black smoke coming out of the tail pipes up in 3rd gear when it mainly starts to back fire. Seems to me from what I found on this forum that Im running to rich? I dont know how to fix that.

Ok so my thoughts are as follows:

1. Timing chain and gears need replaced most likely.
2. Replace Distributor
3. Replace Exhaust
4. Fuel Filter and Fuel pump maybe will help?
5. Vaccum leak somewhere?
6. Cylinder issue maybe?

Ok so you guys please tell me what else I can look at or may need replaced. Or should I give up and let real mechnics take over?

Thanks for any response given.

Steve

Last edited by Nashces; 03-20-2009 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I'd start by setting the timing with the plug wires in the right place.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:14 AM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

It doesn't matter where the wires are on the distributor, as long as they are in the right order. You can put #1 on the total opposite side of where it's supposed to be, as long as the distributor is installed pointing at the proper place. You can bring #1 to top dead center on compression, stick the distributor in however and put the plug wires in order with the #1 wire where the rotor is pointing.

I don't see why the distributor is on your list of items to replace, they rarely go bad. To see how worn the timing chain is without taking anything apart, pull the distributor cap and turn the engine forward by hand to take the slack out of the chain. Then turn the engine backwards while watching the rotor and see how long it takes for it to move. There's no specifications as to how many degrees the engine will turn before the rotor moves, so you will have to make a judgement call on what you think is excessive.

You don't need a fuel pump, you're getting too much gas already. A fuel filter is always a good idea. Most likely the carburetor is bad or out of adjustment. Definitely check for vacuum leaks.

Quick Reply: Need help troubleshooting.