Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Mysterious Chiming?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mysterious Chiming?

I have a 93 F150 4x4. About a month ago whenever i start the truck a chiming sound comes on and wont stop. It sounds like the warning chime for the door being open or when you leave your key in ignition and turn off truck.
side note: I can start my truck with no key in ignition but the chime comes in regardless if key is in ignition or not.
all my fuses are good, How do i know if my ignition switch is bad??
Old 01-17-2015, 01:55 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by Michelle Pascalli
I have a 93 F150 4x4. About a month ago whenever i start the truck a chiming sound comes on and wont stop. It sounds like the warning chime for the door being open or when you leave your key in ignition and turn off truck.
side note: I can start my truck with no key in ignition but the chime comes in regardless if key is in ignition or not.
all my fuses are good, How do i know if my ignition switch is bad??
There is a wire that makes contact with the ignition key tumbler when the key is in, problem is it usually wears out and gives the symptoms you describe.

There is a small hole in the plastic shroud around the steering column just under the key tumbler, turn the key to the on position and insert an ice pick or other pointy tool to release the ignition tumbler and pull at the same time, it should slide right out, now remove the 3 Philip screws on the bottom side of that shroud so you can access the wire.

If you have a tilt steering wheel you will also need to unscrew the rod so you can remove the shroud.

Cut the wire leading up to the key cylinder hole and tape it up.

Replace both shroud halves then the tilt rod and key tumbler.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank You I appreciate your input I will give this a try

Quick Reply: Mysterious Chiming?