Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

My sisters pickup won't start, Please help! ignition maybe???

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My sisters pickup won't start, Please help! ignition maybe???

Hey guys,
My sister has a 2006 F-150 5.4 Triton, we put a SCT Livewire tuner on it about a week ago. It has ran fine, started like normal. She went outside this morning and it would not start, gauges would come on or anything like the battery was dead. We put jumper cables on, but it did not change anything! we then changed the battery and after that it finally started (after cranking for about 10 seconds)

We took it pheasant hunting around noon today and started it many different times driving from spot to spot... Then we walked back to the pickup after it set for about 15min and it did the same thing as it did in morning, however this time we did notice that the key commands worked (horn alarm, doors locking and unlocking) just fine. The lights would also turn on, I did not really notice if it did these things this morning or not, but I did really not think to try them.. my dad then crawled under the pickup and tried to start it by jumping the starter, (it would crank fine , but not fire)

If anyone has this problem please help us! or at least some direction as where we could start looking.
thank you very much!
Old 01-04-2013, 12:24 AM
always dirty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

if you got the spare key , try that one . it happen to me . I accidentally run over my key with an ATV . but didn't damages the key at all remote is working .but my truck won't start . friend told me try my spare key . and it starts. I tried to to start it will the first one again but no start . friend told me that my keys are coded . good luck,,

Last edited by 4x4angel; 01-04-2013 at 12:27 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:27 AM
Chris

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

was anything else electrically installed recently? it seems like you may have some battery drain.

did you check the charge on the battery when you found it wouldnt start? take the battery to the auto part store after you give it a good charge and have them do a load test on it.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:29 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

there is a modal in your fuel system that goes and you can crank all day it it won't start then the next time you turn the key it will run fine. everyone i know with these trucks (my also) have had this thing go. i had mine towed 310km to get it fixed, it cost me about $300-350 at the dealer. some just up and quit working and some will stop and start a few times...this is the warning sign to get it changed or so they told me but mine just up and quit working. not sure if its your problem but might want to have your dealer check it out
Old 10-20-2013, 12:32 PM

I know this is an old post but this just happen to me. Last week I was out of town and the wife tried to start the 2002 5.4 crew cab A4 and it wont start. She got it jumped about 3 hours later and it started right up. Drove it last week no problems. Yesterday I go out to start it and it turns over but will not start. I try and jump it and still will not start. As of right, I have it on a smart charger now and the battery seem to be fine and charging as normal. Did the 2002 have the modal in the fuel system also? Is there any other ideas other than the battery?

Thanks
Old 10-21-2013, 08:07 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Not sure if it has it like the 04'+. It is up under the spare tire on ours, it might be worth a look. Good luck
Old 10-22-2013, 05:18 PM

Thanks,,, My problem turned out to be the the fuel pump. got it changed out and start right up like before and is running fine.

Quick Reply: My sisters pickup won't start, Please help! ignition maybe???