Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

my experience with engine whistle on 05 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 10:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default my experience with engine whistle on 05 5.4

So here is what I know after research and listening to many you tube vids. I tried to compare my whistle to others of course, I didn't record my distinct whistle and it is now finally fixed. So here we go first about two months ago it started to get to me so went to my buddies garage and proceeded to check alternator cuz that seemed to be most common solution I heard. Well when unbolted my alternator and went to disconnect it I noticed that one of the casing bolts were loose tried to retighten then found that the casing was split. I was like holy hell this has got to be it. Replaced a few days later for $100 didn't fix it so back to the forum I went. I kept driving it the way it was when finally a week ago it had gotten so bad I was almost embaressed to drive it. Using someones idea used a hose like a stethescope and concluded it was my smooth idler pulleys. So Wednesday ordered idler pulleys didnt come in till last night put them on. Still nothin was so frustated decided to take it in to ford. This mornin ford solved my problem it was my tensioner pulley they tried to get me to let them do it for $209 instead I did it myself for $50. Finally problem solved however point being I did try to listen to the tensioner with the hose and could not tell it was bad cuz the fan was overriding the noise. either way happy with my truck again for now. Not complaining just venting its aggrevating

Quick Reply: my experience with engine whistle on 05 5.4