Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Multiple Cylinder Misfire

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multiple Cylinder Misfire

I am having some major issues with my 2002 F-150. It has 316,500 miles on the original motor (4.6L 8 cylinder).

This week it has started running very rough and stuttering really bad. Check engine light is on and occasionally flashes. Took it by Advance and they said cylinders 4 and 6 are misfiring. The guy said it could be the coil. (forgot to mention-just put new plugs in about 4 weeks ago) I pulled the coils out swapped them around to other cylinders to see if it truly is the coil. Ran it, light came back on, had codes read again, and still showing the same cylinders misfiring as before.

Local shop wants a couple hundred dollars to diagnose and hopefully fix the problem, and the guy at Advance said it could be something simple like a clogged injector or an electrical issue.

Any ideas or advice? I want to keep this truck on the road for another 100k.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:05 AM

Received 770 Likes on 608 Posts

I would pull the plugs and check them anyway. What brand were they? If Motorcraft should be okay, but never say never on any part.

Quick Reply: Multiple Cylinder Misfire