Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Miss/shudder and other issues with 2013 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 06:58 AM
B-Magnum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Miss/shudder and other issues with 2013 5.0

I have always been a Ford truck man, all my life and owned many but now..........

In October 2012, I traded in my 2009 F-150 4X4 with 37,000 miles for a new pretty 2013 I found on my local lot. It was the new Kodiak Brown and had several features I liked that my 09 did not. The 2nd week I owned it, I took a rock to the windshield causing a bad crack and then lost a tire on my boat trailer right after that. Bad Karma and it all started there.

I then started to notice at about 15,000 miles, a shudder/miss feeling when it idled and on the road. I had this looked at but they had no clue. I then noticed a grinding vibration in the steering and was getting wear to the inside treads on my front tires, again, no clue. I took it in and got the alignment checked and found the camber off and toe was off. Had this fixed which seemed to correct that problem but still feeling a miss/shudder when driving to the point of a jerk when at highway speeds like it misfired but got no codes. This had continued and has gotten a little worse. Also the driver’s door and right rear door would not open without several pulls. The door issue has just been fixed after they finally found ASI-12A04 from Ford that said it was the door latches. Still no fix on the miss/shudder issue.

They then found a TSB-13-1-10 that was for a miss at slow speed in parking lot maneuvers and thought it might fix the problem so they reprogrammed my PCM to this new setting…. Ouch>>> that caused more issues. It reset the temp that the fan motors run when warm out and now when it is warm out at all, my cooling fans run at such a high speed that it sounds like a jet engine under the hood. It is loud enough that you cannot stand by the truck and talk without yelling. This is bad enough but when around 100 outside, I have driven it 20 miles to work and the fans never slow down and you can hear them while driving at highway speeds. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!. The dealer now says that this is the new setting and they can’t change it back, really. SOOOO, I have to listen to those damn things all summer and still have this miss/shudder all the time. I found many threads about spark plug gap causing this and that had fixed other issues that others had on there’s so the dealer replaced all my plugs with new ones last week and checked the gap???? They said. This did not correct the issue and at times it feels worse. My gas mileage has dropped from what it was on the highway since this all started. They have no clue what to do now. I have told them they need to look at the coil packs and if not that maybe replace the PCM with a new one, maybe it’s bad. This miss shows up on their computer when hooked up as a drop in power in 3 cylinders at first and after the reset of the PCM and new plugs, it does this drop in power all the time in all but 2 cylinders????? WHY???

I am pulling my hair out and regretting big time that I got rid of my 09 with the 5.4. My greed got the best of me I guess. Very, Very disappointed in this 2013 and don’tknow what to do next. Way too many issues to have with a $43,000.00 vehicle. I am at 25,000 miles now and dread the future with this thing truck right now. Any ideas, anybody else having the same issue or got it fixed? I have been told to get a power tune chip/unit and retune it but this voids the warranty so don’t want to go there yet. HELP.

Last edited by B-Magnum512; 08-12-2014 at 07:06 AM.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:41 AM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

Every manufacture has a lemon or two. I think you need to contact your local Ford "Zone Manager" or Crystal, the Ford Rep. on this forum to see if you can get some customer satisfaction. Your state may have a "Lemon Law BuyBack" program as well. Good luck
Old 10-18-2016, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just has my '14 in for the same problem. Slight miss at idle. They told me the cyl head was bad. I got to talk to the tech and he told me there was a cooling issue with the driver side head and it caused the valve seat to loosen up on cyl #7 and that the cooling problem has been fixed with newer heads. He said the production run was late '13 early '14. It now runs as smooth as anyone could ask!

Quick Reply: Miss/shudder and other issues with 2013 5.0